mconvert - MIDI Compressed Format Tool

Topics on software tools like TileStudio, comments on documentation and tutorials (or the lack of) should go here.
D3thAdd3r

Re: mconvert - MIDI Compressed Format Tool

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Didn't get a chance but should tonight. If the patches are not right it will either sound terrible or crash. Too fast, you should still be able to tell the patches are good. If you are using known working patches, then something is up with the midi.

Do you need the Bubble Bobble theme? I noticed there are several versions in the NSF, but the only difference I heard was the little intro and a fast version. Could make a song out of each intro , then the main song and use -DSONG_SPEED=1 to play it at different speeds. Or just do a conversion of every track in the NSF as is. More space but easier to trigger.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

There are 14 songs and yes, many are just the main game music with an intro.

Garbage in garbage out? If you find the Bubble Bobble music midis please let me know. You can even convert them for me and I would be very appreciative. However, I do need to learn how to do this myself. Perhaps with a good source midi I can succeed. Thanks!

What is -DSONG_SPEED? I know you can set it in the Makefile but can you also change it within your program? The hurry music is the same as the main game music, only faster.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Fixed almost all problems with the metroid one....timing is bad and wasn't able to fix it. If you needed that one, best is to go NSF2MIDI route as it is faster than figuring out what can be done with that one.

I should probably just make a video on the entire process using BB as example. It is a bit different for different MIDI, but once it all clicks it is mostly ovious what needs to happen.

Song speed is sort of a fixed point like way of scaling the timing. That was the best equarion I could figure, and you can see how it works in the sound engine...a couple lines of code. It is not uniform across songs, and is definitely nothing like a percentage.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I found another Bubble Bobble midi and I got it to work. There are two midi types that midiconvert can use which are type 0 and type 1. The new bb midi was type 1.

Type 1 has separate tracks for the instruments.
Type 0 has one track for all sounds.
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... di-type-1/

Seems type 1 is better??

Also, it is disturbing that I cannot get RoseGarden or Muse to work in Linux. No sound. I found this: http://www.midipro.org/ . That is all I have.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

nicksen782 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm I found another Bubble Bobble midi and I got it to work. There are two midi types that midiconvert can use which are type 0 and type 1. The new bb midi was type 1.

Type 1 has separate tracks for the instruments.
Type 0 has one track for all sounds.
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... di-type-1/

Seems type 1 is better??

Also, it is disturbing that I cannot get RoseGarden or Muse to work in Linux. No sound. I found this: http://www.midipro.org/ . That is all I have.
I prefer type 1 MIDIs.

To install Rosegarden:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install timidity rosegarden
If you want non-realtime sound in Rosegarden, before you run it, just run:

timidity -iA
and then you should have sound in Rosegarden.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I'm trying out Ubuntu Studio and it has both programs.

But, I will try running timidity -iA first as you suggest. Would be cool if it actually worked.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I have had some issues on different distros. Rosegarden outputs MIDI directly like an instrument does, so you need a MIDI server like timidity to play that in waveform. I forget what exactly, but some cases they say you need to recompile the kernel with 1000..something instead of 250 something for realtime playback.

I will touch up the tutorials, as they were written when MIDI 0 was the only optiin.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I'm not trying to get a PhD in midi. I just wanted to adjust some settings and actually HEAR what I am working with.

Also, I can't get nsf2midi to work well either. Well, I can get the Japanese version to work but I can't read Japanese. I have a Windows 10 PC and an Ubuntu Linux PC available to me.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

nicksen782 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:05 pm I'm not trying to get a PhD in midi. I just wanted to adjust some settings and actually HEAR what I am working with.

Also, I can't get nsf2midi to work well either. Well, I can get the Japanese version to work but I can't read Japanese. I have a Windows 10 PC and an Ubuntu Linux PC available to me.
Did

timidity -iA
work for you? I just tried it with a fresh Debian 9.1 LiveDVD, and I have sound now.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I cannot try until tonight, sorry but I definitely will try.

How do you convert nsf 2 midi if the program doesn't work?