Uzem ported to SDL2

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
Jubatian

Re: Uzem ported to SDL2

Post by Jubatian »

Artcfox wrote:Could we remap the screenshot key to something else so everyone on Linux can use the screenshotting function?
Correction: "so every poor sod using Gnome on Linux"... - a happy WindowMaker user, for whom screenshotting works :D
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:Ok, I'll check it out. All these options are required but I don't think there must be a better approach than command line. Something I wanted for a long time is a standard .ini/.cfg text file that would reside in the same directory as the executable. That should be loaded first and the command line overrides any one. Uzem would create a default one if none present. We can put so much more tweaking parameters and options in there. Should not be too hard to do right? ;)
That could be done eventually, but we should come up with a plan first so it doesn't turn into a mess with command line options that can override, but not all things in the option file have command line options. Maybe a key-value pair, and an additional command line argument that lets you set any key to any value? I see that as more of a future enhancement that needs more thought.
Jubatian wrote:
Artcfox wrote:Could we remap the screenshot key to something else so everyone on Linux can use the screenshotting function?
Correction: "so every poor sod using Gnome on Linux"... - a happy WindowMaker user, for whom screenshotting works :D
Touché. Personally I prefer FVWM, but since that is never going to run directly on Wayland, I'm trying to find a suitable replacement that will run on Wayland.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Artcfox wrote:Can you test that compiling my uzem140-fast branch which includes the "-Ofast -flto -fwhole-program" in both the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS of the Makefile works on Windows? That gave the emulator a whopping 35 MHz speed boost on my desktop, so if it works on Windows too, that will be a great thing to have.
CunningFellow just tested out the

Code: Select all

-Ofast -flto -fwhole-program
Makefile changes on Windows, and they worked great! Those should definitely be the default. If you can disable the compositor on Windows, you should see the same 35MHz speed boost. :D
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I'll have to test on my home machines, but on my Surface Pro i5@2.5Ghz, it doesn't make any difference between -O3 and those settings, it both emulates about 69Mhz. But anyway, I can see you added them to the makefile, so if you guys see improvements, I'm all for it.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:I'll have to test on my home machines, but on my Surface Pro i5@2.5Ghz, it doesn't make any difference between -O3 and those settings, it both emulates about 69Mhz. But anyway, I can see you added them to the makefile, so if you guys see improvements, I'm all for it.
If you find a way to disable the compositor in Windows (my friend tells me it is possible using some obscure Windows API call) then you should see the improvements on Windows as well. The newer versions of Windows have made it harder and harder to disable the compositor.

Under GNOME on Linux it is a matter of running:

Code: Select all

metacity --replace --no-compositor&
That (plus ARCH=core2) allows me to run Bugz at 170 MHz.

Which version of Windows are you using?
In Windows 8, Desktop Window Manager (DWM) is always ON and cannot be disabled by end users and apps.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

In Windows 8, Desktop Window Manager (DWM) is always ON and cannot be disabled by end users and apps.
Win8 on SurfacePro, Win7 on my other machines which will upgrade to Win10 soon, like many millions of folks out there it seems. So I would not count too much on that compositor trick. :|
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:

Win8 on SurfacePro, Win7 on my other machines which will upgrade to Win10 soon, like many millions of folks out there it seems. So I would not count too much on that compositor trick. :|
That's okay. Maybe one day we will have a custom Linux LiveDVD/USB that you can boot from and have a full Uzebox development environment pre-configured.

My preferred method though would be a script that you can run from a pre-existing LiveDVD/USB that would automatically download and configure everything that is required, so we aren't stuck maintaining a distribution.

Plus the script way would be easier to maintain, because all the changes will be documented in a single file, rather than scattered all over the place in the filesystem with no good way to compare what changed.