Uzebox 3D printed enclosure!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
nicksen782

Re: Uzebox 3D printed enclosure!

Post by nicksen782 »

So, turn the ISP connector upside down (and around?) and there is an opening for it on the bottom of the case? It would be like a docking station/port. Just a thought, could you also break out the expansion pins (EXT) as well? Just in case someone wants to add circuitry later. This was done on the NES although I'm not aware of any actual uses for it.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

nicksen782 wrote:So, turn the ISP connector upside down (and around?) and there is an opening for it on the bottom of the case? It would be like a docking station/port.
Yes exactly, kinda like the NES expansion port.
nicksen782 wrote:Just a thought, could you also break out the expansion pins (EXT) as well? Just in case someone wants to add circuitry later. This was done on the NES although I'm not aware of any actual uses for it.
I guess I could put an opening for the extension...however I don't think there would be uses specially when there's a lot of space inside anyway. Worst case it can also be cut out later with a Dremel.

Right now I have cut holes in the cases I have already printed.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

It seems like the expansion pins are placed where they are for elegant layout of the PCB. Being there, the only solutions would be desoldering and putting it on the bottom(not very useful where they are) or ribbon cable...but ribbon cable to where, the side? Extra holes in top/side isn't going to look nice, but really the kinds of things you do with the expansion pins you probably want the case off while developing. If you had a fully developed module card that fits in the case then it would be sweet. Myself, I could really go either way on even having the ISP catered to in the case design, as the Uzebox I use for development probably will stay un-cased. Just my humble opinion :|
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Yeah, I know. A little late for that kind of idea.

My whole thought was a type of dock that you could put the Uzebox in, just like a laptop dock where you could attach to other peripherals.

Anyway, as it appears, I am excited and really want one of these. When I tell people about the 'Retro Minimalist' game system on my desk I sometimes get the joke about it being so minimal that it's naked. Okay, actually, that only happened twice. Still, funny and worth a share for a laugh. :D
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

So here how it looks with ISP breakout underneath:

If one wants to use it, just snap in an ISP 6 pin header, solder a ribbon cable, plug into the original ISP jack and voila! If I finally get to make a bunch of enclosures for you guys on the forums, I'd send all parts needed for that (header & flat cable). For the current version of the PCB, that's pretty much the best I can do.
It seems like the expansion pins are placed where they are for elegant layout of the PCB. Being there, the only solutions would be desoldering and putting it on the bottom(not very useful where they are) or ribbon cable...but ribbon cable to where, the side? Extra holes in top/side isn't going to look nice, but really the kinds of things you do with the expansion pins you probably want the case off while developing. If you had a fully developed module card that fits in the case then it would be sweet. Myself, I could really go either way on even having the ISP catered to in the case design, as the Uzebox I use for development probably will stay un-cased. Just my humble opinion :|
I spent so much time trying to make everything look good. One very good use for the extension header would be the wifi module, like Adadfruit's one which use SPI. I'd connect it with a ribbon cable to the EXT header and fix the tiny module inside the case anywhere, there's plenty of space.
When I tell people about the 'Retro Minimalist' game system on my desk I sometimes get the joke about it being so minimal that it's naked. Okay, actually, that only happened twice. Still, funny and worth a share for a laugh. :D
:lol: Good one!
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

f one wants to use it, just snap in an ISP 6 pin header, solder a ribbon cable, plug into the original ISP jack and voila!
So, turn the header around and upside down, right? What do you mean by solder on a ribbon cable? Or was that a type-o?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

So, turn the header around and upside down, right? What do you mean by solder on a ribbon cable? Or was that a type-o?
I'll solder the cable and post more pics...
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Squarish controllers always seemed more retro to me, so tonight I wondered what a Uzebox controller could look like... It would reuse the internals PCB of those knockoff SNES controller I ship with my kits, hence the layout. The top graphics would be made of a custom cut vinyl sticker which can be bought inexpensively these days. I'm not committing myself to actually make one, but it's sure tempting... :mrgreen:

These could accept also accept (I think at least) CunningFellow UzeDTV PCB. These should also be relatively easy to print due the straight bevel design. Rounded corner on the enclosure don't always look good, depend on the orientation of how it's printed.
Gosma

Post by Gosma »

I'm feeling like this... :D
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I've been there. After a hard night of drinking and your buddy buys you some rounds of those girly candy shots....so you have to drink them. Just a few more..mmph..