Uzebox 3D printed enclosure!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Uzebox 3D printed enclosure!

Post by uze6666 »

Oh yeah, btw, we will need some creative thinking about the ISP port to expose it. With the current PCB design using the blue header, it's not possible to plug it with that enclosure.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Woke up and print finished perfectly! I'm very happy with the quality. I sure wastes a lot of plastic, but the surface and fillets are nice and smooth.

Removing all that support material takes a while. Got to use long nose pliers to break those inner walls.

Woot! Home manufactured Uzebox case! :mrgreen:

Still some little things to fix here and there, like those "scars" you see on the surface. The slicer program don't retract the extruder for some reasons sometimes. I know the fix, I'll try it on the final prints. But all in all we'll finally have an enclosure pretty soon.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Damn! Seeing that done in physical form, its absolutely beautiful. I dont envy you on the process of removing those supports however ;) Maybe a dremel with a cutting disc would make it easier since inside doesnt have to be very smooth anyways. How do 2 tone colors work, like a second thin black plate goes over that or it just gets painted? Anyways awesome work Alec :ugeek:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

How do 2 tone colors work, like a second thin black plate goes over that or it just gets painted?
Yes, another plastic plate will go on top.Hopefully, no painting required. :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

How often are people really needing to use their ISP I wonder? I have had to use it many times lately because of interfacing with hardware, but I wouldn't want a case on when I'm doing that stuff. Other than that I'd say the average uzer needs it maybe once, but probably never, since it's pre-flashed with the bootloader. If they brick it, then take a couple screws out reflash and reassemble.

On the expansion header it is really nice to have all those pins available like that for interfacing and experimenting. But at the same time I suspect it's mostly going to be guys playing around with hardware stuff, who probably don't need or want it in a case to get scratched up while they have it on the work bench. I can't see an official add-on that would require it being accessible, since(unless I'm mistaken on one of these) Fuzebox,EUzebox,AVCore, and lots of DIY uzebox do not have the pins available as standard.

If the ISP panel is non-negotiable is it possible to print something like those panels that snap in with the springy tab...you know what I mean..

PS-Where does the LED go? :P
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

The cover tab is a good idea! However, there's not much space behind and there's no way to plug the ISP header with the case closed. In the end, you are probably right, not much folk would care about the ISP. But I know I'd like to have it for myself, so it will probably end up being some option. Perhaps the port could be accessible from the bottom. Or simply just replace the blue header with a right angle header.
PS-Where does the LED go? :P
I may have another idea for the LED...secret for now!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Small update. Working on the reset and power buttons "mechanism", I'm trying some approaches to be able to reach the tactile switches. First proto, maybe not so good. Sometimes jams if you don't hit it close to the center.

D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I wonder if a spring might be necessary since the amount of friction on the fairly large surface area around the button is probably more than the push buttons were designed for.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Indeed, that drive collar in the previous pic just doesn't work since there too much friction. Some sort of spring...Hmmm I'll check.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Update! Finally joined both top and down parts. These are flat top, low-res, simplified versions that are much faster to print. Just to test the general layout and Again, don't worry, these are not the final colors! And not the final material, I don't like that brand, hard to describe, feels too soft, too cheap. Waiting for more much better filament from Britain, hofully more in line with the blue stuff you saw in earlier posts.
Image Image