Making NES Kung-Fu

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
CunningFellow

Re: Making NES Kung-Fu

Post by CunningFellow »

Sorry for dropping the ball guys.

Have been reading the forum on and off, but have not been well enough to keep working.

I should be back on the case next week though and I will try wrap up the 16 colour mode then.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

No problems, we're all guilty of the same. Been playing with my new toy full time, but this one is still of high interest to me. :)
danboid

Post by danboid »

I recently told CF that Defender was the next game I was going to try remaking but I've changed my mind and I think I'd rather tackle Kung Fu master next instead. It seems we all agree this needs to happen and the consensus seems to be that it should be doable.

I'd prefer to use the original arcade gfx, scaled down as required, rather than using the NES graphics but it might make more sense to mix and match them a bit, like using the arcade sprites but the backgrounds from the NES or something. The Atari 7800 and C64 also had pretty good ports of KFM so they could also be considered as 'sources of inspiration'.

It seemed back when this was originally discussed that Mode 3 was going to be used but do we think this would be better handled by mode 74 or something else?

EDIT

I've just watched a videos of the C64, 7800 and NES ports. The C64 graphics aren't the greatest so I don't think I'd want to borrow those. The 7800 graphics are a bit darker than the NES but are arguably a bit closer to the arcade than the stylised NES sprites. I'd prefer to keep the sprites as close to the arcade ones as we can manage.

I wonder if using SPI RAM might let us use (almost) full, arcade size sprites?
Last edited by danboid on Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danboid

Post by danboid »

This could only get called Kung Fuze, surely?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

:lol:
danboid

Post by danboid »

Kung Fu master / Vigilante has recently been redone on the Amiga as Devils Temple (son of the Kung Fu master)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-E7GFX-vWg
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I quickly reread the thread and mode 3 would not fly if we'd try to use the same approach as the NES, mainly due to the lack of multiple scroll sections and not enough ram. Mode 74 would indeed be a better candidate.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:41 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HAHAHA, I would vote for that title! :lol:
danboid

Post by danboid »

To recreate the arcade gfx at half the size, it would require 2x4 8x8 pixel tiles to draw Thomas when standing/walking, a few more when attacking.

Considering we may want several enemies on screen at one, is mode 74 going to struggle to draw that many enemies if they are all drawn with 8 tiles/sprites each? Do we know yet how many sprites mode 74 should be capable of handling?
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

danboid wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:08 am To recreate the arcade gfx at half the size, it would require 2x4 8x8 pixel tiles to draw Thomas when standing/walking, a few more when attacking.

Considering we may want several enemies on screen at one, is mode 74 going to struggle to draw that many enemies if they are all drawn with 8 tiles/sprites each? Do we know yet how many sprites mode 74 should be capable of handling?
It looks like it depends on how much RAM you want to use. I've used up to 36 64-byte RAM tiles in Mode 3, and you start running out of CPU to blit that many. For Mode 74, 256 bytes are needed for the palette, so that's like 32 mode 3 RAM tiles. Since Mode 74's RAM tiles are 32 bytes, I'd say try using 64, and if you run out of CPU time to blit them, then reduce the number of render lines to get more CPU time back? You can look at the Mode 74 demos, and see how many sprites they use.

http://uzebox.org/wiki/Video_Modes#Mode_74

Keep in mind, just because a character is 2x4, that doesn't mean it will use only 8 RAM tiles. That's only if it is perfectly aligned along both X and Y. If it is misaligned on X, it would take 12, and if misaligned on Y it would take 10, and if misaligned on both at the same time it would take 15 RAM tiles. It's likely you would need to employ some sort of sprite flickering algorithm.