Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by uze6666 »

Here's some little tests I made. All the cards were bought at Best Buy so I assume they are not knockoffs.
  • Tried the Wiki's .UZE and data file on two SDSC Sandisk 2G and it works fines on both. One of them though has very occasional hiccups in the BG.
  • Tried the t3k.uze from this post and level data provided on the wiki (+5.0.11 bootloader) on the same 2G cards and it works fine.
  • Tried t3k.uze on a Sandisk SDHC 32 GB 30 MB/s card and the data file (+5.0.11 bootloader) is found but BG severely glitches.
  • Tried t3k.uze on a Kingston 64GB SDXC card and the data file (+5.0.11 bootloader) works flawlessly. Note I had to create a 4G main partition in order to format it in FAT32 (was exFat by default).
Hope that helps.

One thing I noticed is that one of the lead instrument in the title if very faint now. Is it possible that one or more waveforms were removed or changed?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

With space I have saved from recent optimization I could include an SD card test function in the code. Warn if the card is too slow to stream the webs.

My ears don't work great so I never noticed the lead instrument on the title being faint. I did notice the "play" sample seemed to have disappeared at some point though. I'll try investigate this.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

With space I have saved from recent optimization I could include an SD card test function in the code. Warn if the card is too slow to stream the webs.
That would indeed be a very nice feature! Btw, for reference, the instrument in problem is that tubular sounding patch that starts at 14 seconds in your youtube video.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Slow and not very steady.

Did the gradient "2000" that Jubatian provided
New2000.png
New2000.png (49.83 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Looks really good on screen. Not sure I picked the correct colour for the lightest blue about 2/3 of the way down it.

Having to use a spreadsheet to work out hex values to cut and paste into the code is not the most efficient way to do these things.

I've also done a quite a lot of optimizations in the background to save more code space and can add a few features. So Should have a new release soon.
Uzer2000

Post by Uzer2000 »

Excited to hear you are still working on it! :D
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks for the update CF!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I hope to finish the polishing and will do a new release of the source code that is a lot more readable.

One thing I am not having much luck with is finding out what happened to the music/audio.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

From the June 19 2020 list updated a bit - and new estimates for size to complete after latest refactor.
CunningFellow wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:17 am
Not done
  • PCM channel has gotten very quiet at some point viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1905&start=530#p16783
  • Proper behavior on some of the higher level enemies (Demon Head, Mutant Flipper and Pulsar) [est. 50 bytes per behavior]
  • Selectable start level viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1905&start=380#p15111 [est. 100 bytes]
  • Increase powerup dwell time based on Z [est. 64 bytes]
  • More vibrant "game over" screen with more colour and maybe its own animated background [est. 0 bytes]
  • More vector text "Caught You" "Avoid Spikes" "Eat Electric Death" [many hundreds of bytes each]
  • a "Meet the Enemies" screen in attract mode shows the enemies and some brief text [est. 30 bytes per page]
  • Extra audio channels so music and SFX can play at same time (new 8 channel audio system)
  • User defined volume for SFX and Music
  • AI Driod as player two (new object type #define OBJ_Player2_droid 2) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1905&start=420 [est. 100 bytes]
  • Make the super zapper look like a lightning bolt striking each enemy[est. 150 bytes]
Already done
  • Enemy count gets corrupt and level will not end viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1905&start=440#p15318FIXED
  • Some times speed moderation fails (wait VSync does not keep the game at steady slow speed) FIXED
  • Drawing random green lines on the screen when super zapper active and spikes exist FIXED
  • Can not catch powerups while zooming FIXED
  • Powerups and enemies should not wrap past zero FIXED
  • Distance to enemy (or spikes) distorted while zooming (apparent when "outta here" happens) FIXED
  • Random graphical glitches on screen IDENTIFIED
  • Flippers will flip onto lane 16 on open webs (and float in space) FIXED
  • Ai Droid will jump open lane when first created if no enemies to chase FIXED
  • Demon heads are still fatal even when even when superzapped Think it's fixed not 100% sure
  • Avoid spikes delay when an "outta here" is collected DONE
  • Gradient on the 2000 on the title screen viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1905&start=450#p15505 DONE
Things I maybe could do now with extra flash space
  • ADPCM audio compression to fit extra samples
  • Bonus Levels
  • Extra songs
From optimizing/changing-things/refactoring I have been able to get 2140 bytes free right of this moment.

Next thing I am working on tonight is new meet the enemies screen for the attract mode. Here is my awesome MSPaint skillz showing off how I envision that looking.
MeetEnemies.png
MeetEnemies.png (20.6 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
Uzer2000

Post by Uzer2000 »

Nice!
danboid

Post by danboid »

Extra audio channels so music and SFX can play at same time (new 8 channel audio system)
This caught my attention! 8 channels would be pretty impressive. What would this entail? Would this involve an upgrade to the UB OS/ROM? Would each channel be able to play samples?