FujiNet

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
danboid

FujiNet

Post by danboid »

FujiNet is a multi-peripheral emulator and WiFi network device for vintage computers. The first completed hardware was for the Atari 8-Bit line of computers and development has begun for other systems (Coleco ADAM, Apple II, Commodore 64, Atari Lynx, ZX Spectrum and more) with the goal of supporting as many old systems as possible.

What sets FujiNet apart from other WiFi devices is the new Network Device (the N Device). The N device allows vintage computers that do not have enough processing power to handle TCP/IP connections talk to the modern internet over WiFi. Virtual adapters have been created for many protocols including: TCP, UDP, HTTP, FTP, TNFS, HTTPS (SSL/TLS), SSH, TELNET, WebDAV and JSON parser.

https://fujinet.online/

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI

Some of the FujiNet apps hosted on github include

fujinet-adam-cpm-lib - Library to use FujiNet functions from CP/M
fujinet-cpm-tools - Tools to use in FujiNet's CP/M environment.
D3thAdd3r

Re: FujiNet

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I dug into this a ways and it is interesting. Especially as a remote file system for retro computers...what else exists really. If we were to approach it from the Atari angle, there is no reason I see that we could directly modify/run their SIO implementation and interface with virtual(or real) printers, disk drives, etc.

Technically some use cases of the SD could be virtualized like that over the network instead. Though one could roll their own without arbitrary overhead too. I'd like to explore remote storage someday either way in a game.

I see no reason we couldn't utilize the Uzenet module to run FujiNet stuff. One way would be to make a driver that can be included in games to convert FN commands to ESP8266 operations but that's probably a burden on games. Maybe I'm missing a point there.

The other option would be to host what they call the "emulator bridge" Python contraption. Basically connect to Uzenet server and their is some command to create a personal instance of it, where the heavy lifting done by the ESP32 in the FN hardware module, done by the server instead.

In theory CUzeBox could use one of those implementations to include native support, but I like the Uzenet server idea more because then it works on hardware as well and it's just a transparent thing.
danboid

Post by danboid »

The main things that caught my interest here were the promise of being able to use SSH and ftp from the Uzebox. Maybe Uze is secretly writing an ftp client but I doubt ssh and sftp would be possible without some assistance like this.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Cool project!

The esp-8266 can actually handle the SSL/TLS part for one connection which is very demanding in term of resources. I haven't look a the amount of code required for a basic shell or FTP ( it's no doubt more than telnet) but I have a gut feeling it can be done directly on the Uzebox.
danboid

Post by danboid »

uze6666 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:01 pm The esp-8266 can actually handle the SSL/TLS part for one connection which is very demanding in term of resources. I haven't look a the amount of code required for a basic shell or FTP ( it's no doubt more than telnet) but I have a gut feeling it can be done directly on the Uzebox.
I hope your hunch proves correct!

The Uzebox would make for a cooler ssh terminal than anything else I own and ftp would be one of the most useful apps to have otherwise IMO, esp for those with a fear, dislike or aversion of removing the SD card from their Uzebox.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Wrapped back around to FujiNet, and wow a cross platform, network 8 bit game:

Imagine if Uzebox were in that list, and the emulator worked with it? Then retro guys being like "what is Uzebox"....BAM
danboid

Post by danboid »

If we port Barbarian and FujiNet that could potentially allow 2 player mode between C64, Apple II and Uzebox users.

I think I'd probably buy a C64 and a FujiNet just to test Barbarian - The Ultimate Uzebox Network Novelty or whatever it gets called. The open source Barbarian remake already has C64 and Apple II ports.

You might have to port MegaBomber to the C64 DA? Have you got a Commode? I'm pretty sure you can get 4 joystick ports attached to a C64.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Oh man, I still haven't finished the C port so I'm thinking the 6502 port will be a ways out! But also not entirely impossible, it would really require a strong decision to go for it and stick at it.

Well I'm seeing low hanging fruit here, and I've considered making a Connect 4 game many times and I'm rather surprised I never actually went for it. Visually it's pleasant, simple and abstract. Sonically...dropping a piece has a satisfying sound. Tactically...eh I never really thought about it, but surely it's beyond TicTacToe.

It seems if we had a Connect 4 game, and if it supported the network protocol the Coleco and Atari versions support...that has to get Uzebox on the FujiNet list? If not, then a few more games(simplest), and certainly then at least Uzenet players would have more available opponents...at least for some simple board games(even if the the other players see it as a FujiNet game).
danboid

Post by danboid »

Yes do that low hanging stuff first for the publicity if not much else, then we can work on more interesting games.

If you get FujiNet working I might have a go at porting IKD to the C64. There is an open source C compiler for the C64 of course so how hard could it be to port IKD to the C64, he says? I could just use the original Commando SID then! :lol:
danboid

Post by danboid »

Cross-platform networked retro gaming speculation spam at its absolute finest!

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=116012