Let's get the Uzebox on Wikipedia

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
danboid

Let's get the Uzebox on Wikipedia

Post by danboid »

I'm disappointed that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware

Currently doesn't mention the Uzebox and I think we should fix that.

There are two paragraphs of note that would seem the most obvious ones that could be enhanced by a reference to our fave open console platform:

The second paragraph of its Computers section currently reads:

"Several retrocomputing hobby groups have created numerous recreations or adaptations of the early home computers of the 1970s and 80s, some of which include improved functionality and more modern components (such as surface-mount ICs and SD card readers). Some hobbyists have also developed add-on cards (such as drive controllers, memory expansion, and sound cards) to improve the functionality of older computers. Miniaturised recreations of vintage computers have also been created."

This paragraph should mention the Uzebox as the only successful example of a fully open games console platform. Alternately, the following Electronics section mentions the Arduino and Sparkfun which both have close ties to the Uzebox. How about:

"Several retrocomputing hobby groups have created numerous recreations or adaptations of the early home computers of the 1970s and 80s, some of which include improved functionality and more modern components (such as surface-mount ICs and SD card readers). Some hobbyists have also developed add-on cards (such as drive controllers, memory expansion, and sound cards) to improve the functionality of older computers. Miniaturised recreations of vintage computers have also been created as well "modern retro" plaforms such as the Uzebox games console*."

*game console for North Americans

I'm happy if someone else makes the actual edit when we've decided what the best wording would be.
danboid

Re: Let's get the Uzebox on Wikipedia

Post by danboid »

I've never attempted to edit any wikipedia pages but I suspect its much more difficult to make an addition or a change and have it remain than any other wiki and I can't help but feel that adding any examples of systems to this page would get rejected. I suppose there's only one way to find out.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

It once had its own page for for years: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =614667791. Alas it was deleted in 2015. So I don't think there's a point to re-add it (you can see the talk page). Now, it's still mentioned but under the open-design movement page. That page is at least referenced from the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware (second link from the top). Ironically, the Xgamestation that launched many months later with the same chip and same overclocking was objectively less popular. It still has its wiki page up :roll: .
danboid

Post by danboid »

I see! Thanks for the background Uze. Good to hear it gets a mention somewhere but its weird they should decide to get rid of its page. How many KB was that consuming on their servers? I'm sorry but that extra page would cripple us? Dodgy site but unfortunately its also the "source of all truth" now, pretty much.