Uzebox SMD soldering

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
JimmyDansbo

Re: Uzebox SMD soldering

Post by JimmyDansbo »

Nope.
I had not noticed the assembly guide, maybe because it is named F1+ ?
I was only looking for F5 information.

Now I am wondering why C13 is a 10 uF 6.3V tantalum (which is quite expensive) instead of a 10uF 50V electrolytic capacitor?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I had not noticed the assembly guide, maybe because it is named F1+ ?
Updated the download page to say it's for revs F1 to F5 to make it clearer.
Now I am wondering why C13 is a 10 uF 6.3V tantalum (which is quite expensive) instead of a 10uF 50V electrolytic capacitor?
It's been too long but, long story short, no reasons. An electrolytic should work just fine.

Long story: I think it was possibly due to a misunderstanding on my part when I did the original prototype. According to the AD725 datasheet reference design notes (page 11):
Both the analog and digital ground pins should be tied to the ground plane by a short, low inductance path. Each power supply pin should be bypassed to ground by a low inductance 0.1 uF capacitor and a larger tantalum capacitor of about 10 uF.
I remember a discussion thread on Adafruit where I made some tests for this capacitor (following a video issue with Fuzebox) and according to my findings there was no perceptible differences between a 10uF tantalum or electrolytic cap. So I guess it just stick and I never took the time to update the BOM and assembly guide.
danboid

Post by danboid »

So it sounds like you are likely to be adding that as a change to the next UB PCB revision?

Have you got a current PCB rev TODO list anywhere Uze? There is a schematic section of the wiki TODO page but I suspect it isn't complete and some of its contents may even be invalid?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

danboid wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:03 am So it sounds like you are likely to be adding that as a change to the next UB PCB revision?
The PCB doesn't really need a rev for this, just to update the assembly guide and BOM to reflect the use of electrolytic cap.
Have you got a current PCB rev TODO list anywhere Uze? There is a schematic section of the wiki TODO page but I suspect it isn't complete and some of its contents may even be invalid?
I don't really have any todo on the board. At least for now.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Have you tried the SCART hack yet Jimmy?
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

No, things works just fine with s-video so I see no reason to add the scart hack.
Initially I thought that the scart hack would convert it to pal instead of ntsc, but the frequencies stay the same so if a tv/monitor would be able to handle it through scart, it should also be able to handle it through composite or s-video.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I don't really have any todo on the board. At least for now.
After all, I think there's a fix I need to do since a long time. I noticed that SD card intensive applications tend to get "stunned" and non-responding after reflashing from the ISP port. Probably needs some resistors on the SPI bus.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I don't read the X16 forums etc very often so could you please let us know when you hear of a X16 game with network play getting released. Lets see if Lee can release a network game for the Uzebox first. It sounds like he's pretty close.
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

Lately I have been very busy at work so I only browse the updates for the communites I am following.
As far as i know there is not even any networking hardware available for the CX16 at this time so software that takes adavantage of networking is pretty far off.

I will keep an eye out for it and let people know in here if I see something.
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

Lately I have been very busy at work so I only browse the updates for the communites I am following.
As far as i know there is not even any networking hardware available for the CX16 at this time so software that takes adavantage of networking is pretty far off.

I will keep an eye out for it and let people know in here if I see something.