Uzebox TODO list

Topics on software tools like TileStudio, comments on documentation and tutorials (or the lack of) should go here.
danboid

Uzebox TODO list

Post by danboid »

I expect its out of date and several things can likely be removed now but I thought I'd update the wiki Uzebox TODO list ( https://uzebox.org/wiki/To_do_list ) with a few things I'd like to see eventually including a Uzebox multitap, Nintendo 64 controller support (via a multitap?) and RAM patch support.

I suggested N64 controller support as it seems more in line with the Nintendo controller lineage of the Uzebox but might it be easier or make more sense to add Playstation or XBOX controller support instead? The later PS pads offer two analogue sticks instead of one like the N64 I think there are more (clone) Playstation pads out there than N64 or XBOX controllers but I also suspect adding support for N64 controllers should be easier and more likely to be an option than Playstation/XBOX pads.
danboid

Re: Uzebox TODO list

Post by danboid »

I've added a UZENET config tool to the top of the software TODO list.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I've added a UZENET config tool to the top of the software TODO list.
I was working last weekend on an app using the keyboard interface. Then it stuck me that almost nobody has one. Entering long passphrases with a virtual keyboard is an option but annoying. The simplest way I could think of was that the user could put a small text file on the SD card with just two line: ssid and passphrase. You then start the app on the Uzebox and it will look for the file, load the credentials and programs the wifi module with it. Considering it's a one shot, seems good enough for me. Thought?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

The separate file isn't bad really, but the virtual keyboard would be no worse than one-shot setting up a television/etc. nowadays.

If the user doesn't have security concerns about it, could the file multiplex for other Uzenet related settings? On that I did have a few things I was originally thinking could be stored in _HISCORE.DAT.

Related to an intermediate server program(defeat NAT without port forwarding Uzebox to face the Internet, etc), I figured the easiest way to avoid hacking was to give each forum member a UUID via private message. If a remote host sends anything but a known UUID the socket is closed, if the same IP fails 100 times, they are auto-banned.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Uzenet should be configurable both ways and I like DA's idea of incorporating this into _HISCORE.DAT. Being able to confgure wifi with the keyboard would be one reason to use the keyboard interface. There aren't many!
danboid

Post by danboid »

I have done and removed one of the items on the TODO list by transferring a few questions from a snippet of an online chat pasted on the TODO page and adding them as new entries to the FAQ page:

https://uzebox.org/wiki/FAQ
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I don't know how others feel, but I very much dislike that so many projects are moving towards Discord servers versus forums. I was a latecomer to the Uzebox, but over the course of many months I was able to systematically read through every post on the forum and catch up with the entire development history. And even now people just discovering the Uzebox can travel all the way back in time to the first post, start reading, and not miss anything. I see fracturing discussion as a bad thing, especially given how small this community is.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I agree. Discord is closed closed and not open source or open internet compat. Its not a healthy trend and is a major part of the "shrinking" / siloization of the internet. Closed source, membership required, they don't get searched by search engines... they are doing to IRC and forums what social media has done to the web.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Talking about the forums, perhaps it's just me, but I just noticed the forums are not indexed on Google!! :shock: They are on Bing, but no trace of posts on Google and I don't know why. I changed all bots setting I could think of and asked for a re-indexing. Will see.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:01 pm Talking about the forums, perhaps it's just me, but I just noticed the forums are not indexed on Google!! :shock: They are on Bing, but no trace of posts on Google and I don't know why. I changed all bots setting I could think of and asked for a re-indexing. Will see.
I haven't used Google search for 6 or 7 years now. I switched to DuckDuckGo many years ago and haven't looked back. I am not seeing many forum posts indexed on DDG, but the wiki comes up. Only if I add forum to my search terms does it show any forum posts.

I wonder if it has anything to do with switching to https?