Uzenet adapter V2

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Uzenet adapter V2

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Agreed!

Hopefully several such games even. I'm giving it 199% on MegaBomber. First, it is hard to make bots fun to play against, second there isn't a 4 player multitap ready, third it's hard to arrange a multitap party anyway! Didn't need SPI RAM sound, but so far I love it. Not intended to be single player really, so that means the entire effort is aligned with Uzenet being a fully developed thing.

If full trails were blazed on all this(which is a lot of factors and chicken/egg issues), puzzle games could be added pretty quick I bet. A hypothetical Megatris Uzenet Edition would be wild and maybe draw in a larger crowd. People are crazy about Tetris competition, I got whomped last I tried Puyo Puyo Tetris!
danboid

Post by danboid »

D3thAdd3r wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:24 am Didn't need SPI RAM sound, but so far I love it.
The Mega Bomber PCM audio will require the SPI RAM right?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Yes, I mean I don't strictly need it to make the game. In reality though, there was no room for even menu music otherwise as the graphics are very expensive. So realistically SPI RAM is the difference there, from that wasn't really possible to complete, to what seems much more possible now(or I fail horribly and revert to streaming music, we'll see).

PCM audio is the best general use case for SPI RAM I can think of after several years of thought. It's big data with high impact, needing mostly sequential access. My intent has been to target the expansion for a while now, just didn't have the full vision yet.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Putting this here so I find it later. I haven't attempted to build it, but it seems preferable to have an open source AT firmware.

https://github.com/loboris/ESP8266_AT_LoBo
https://github.com/loboris/ESP8266_AT_L ... bootloader

The most interesting feature is that it's open source, but it also has extra things like network time(so Uzebox sort of has an easy RTC).

For actual networking functionality it has 2 major improvements:
  1. non-asynchronous data receive - the module tells you how much data is about to come, but buffers and does not send it until you send 'y'. This might be pretty useful in some scenario?
  2. multiple "server sockets", instead of just allowing 1 incoming connection, it allows 4. It's sort of against what I want to do, but it would allow more than 2 Uzebox to connect directly peer to peer. The original version having just 1 meant there was no way to network more than 2 without an intermediate server/device which could handle more.

I wasn't actually looking for this, but I will try to build it later when I'm actually thinking about AT stuff.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Good find DA!

We need to keep/make the platform as open as possible so I hope you get the open source fw to build and run easily enough.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

For actual networking functionality it has 2 major improvements:
non-asynchronous data receive - the module tells you how much data is about to come, but buffers and does not send it until you send 'y'. This might be pretty useful in some scenario?
multiple "server sockets", instead of just allowing 1 incoming connection, it allows 4. It's sort of against what I want to do, but it would allow more than 2 Uzebox to connect directly peer to peer. The original version having just 1 meant there was no way to network more than 2 without an intermediate server/device which could handle more.
Espressif released a V1.7 of the AT firmware in 2018 which I have been using on my modules and that includes what you refer to: "passive" receive mode where data is buffered until the hosts asks for it, support for up to 4 connections and SMTP time (didn't know it existed, need to try that!). I saw they released what seems like a newer unified AT spec for both esp32 and esp8266. Will check what's new if any. It also may offer transparent upgrade path to ESP32 if ever required.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

That unified version could be even better, let us know what you find.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

They have a couple more functions for http calls but not much than the v1.7. And there is seemingly no prebuilt binaries for the esp8266. Honestly I think it's good enough for our needs. We could have a custom version but that I reckon it would be yet more code to develop and maintain for not so much gain. I see more value on the games! :mrgreen:
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Ok perfect, v1.7 it is!

I'm missing some functionality as I did the initial AT handling stuff around the chaotic 2015-era which had no standard really, but big things just happened in the ESP8266 emulation front! Will make changes as necessary to match 1.7, and hoping to drop source+binaries fairly soon.

Alec, I sent you a PM you might find interesting :)
danboid

Post by danboid »

Have you redesigned and rebuilt the Uzenet adapter to fit in the official case yet Uze? You did say that should be possible right?