Giant 3D printed Uzebox emblem

Discuss general Uzebox topics here: features, wish list. nice to have, etc.
Artcfox

Giant 3D printed Uzebox emblem

Post by Artcfox »

I've tried printing the Uzebox emblem in the past, but the layer lines have always ruined it for me, no matter how thin of a layer height I used.

I finally figured out how to build custom supports using Blender, which require pliers to remove, but hold very strong and give a much nicer surface finish that the default supports in PrusaSlicer, so this morning I gave it another go at 0.2mm layer height (Uzebox Portable for scale):
IMG_8352_small.JPG
IMG_8352_small.JPG (241.17 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
The only post processing I did was removing the supports. The faint concentric lines you can see on the reflective surface are from the model itself.

If anyone else is interested I've attached the .3mf and .gcode for a Prusa MK3S+.

As is, it needs to be printed with a 0.2mm layer height, without rescaling (that's what the custom support is designed to work with). Even with the custom support on the bottom, it still requires you to enable supports everywhere for the top overhang. It looks like it might benefit from another custom support for the top overhang, but that would almost double the printing time. Maybe someone who knows more about PrusaSlicer could change the setting for the generated supports to be tighter and they would get a slightly better finish on the top overhang, but as-is it's not too bad.

It prints vertically and uses the entire 210mm of printing height on the MK3S+
IMG_8346_small.JPG
IMG_8346_small.JPG (225.16 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
If the model is to be rescaled, or printed at a different layer height, first move the sub-part of the logo down 0.2mm, do the rescaling, and then move that sub-part back up 0.2mm. If you look closely in the slicer, the logo is floating above its support stand, but that's what makes it have a strong attachment that you can still removable with pliers. Don't bend the support off, crush it with the corner of the pliers until it separates from the model.

If I ever do a version with custom supports for the top, I think I would put a backplate behind the logo for the top support to jut out of, and then place little "toothpicks" 1 extrusion width wide connecting the back of the logo in various places to the backplate, just to keep the long fingers from wobbling a tiny bit while printing.

I was thinking it might be nice to embed some magnets inside while it's printing in order to attach it to flat screws on a wall, but I haven't tried embedding anything in a 3D print yet. If you're going to mount it to the wall, the support stand is on the right side of the logo, and according to the STL file, it should be tilted upward at a 25 degree angle. I'm planning on just using 3M command strips to stick it on my wall.

If anyone else prints one, I'd love to see it!
Attachments
Giant_Uzebox_Logo_0.2mm.zip
Includes README, 3mf, and GCODE for MK3S+
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Giant 3D printed Uzebox emblem

Post by uze6666 »

That's one big logo, very cool idea!! Could you repost the 3mf without any support or pedestal? I'll give it a try on my printer. An since the build volume of your printer seems quite close to my Ultimaker2, seems I could make it even bigger (20%) by rotating it 45 degres around two axis. :P
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (50.31 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Thanks!

It was just the Logo.STL file from your Thingiverse page for the enclosure: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:569226/files but I attached a .3mf that has some "snugger" supports that I tested with just the topmost overhang of a giant completely vertical logo. I'm not sure you could print a giant one tilted like that though.

Printed out in Gold, Silver, and Bronze PLA, and embedded with magnets for mounting, these might make for some pretty cool UCC 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies. :ugeek:
Attachments
Logo45deg.zip
(91.77 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Oh, and last night I was determined to get the normal sized logo for the 3D printed enclosure printed vertically without it turning into a hot blobby mess.

I ended up building a custom support/cooling tower for the top and bottom with tiny little 0.1mm tall bridges tacking it to the back plate in various places to keep the thin pieces from wobbling. With enough perimeters on the tower (3 seemed to work) the fan will continuously cool the actual model part, and I was able to get a really clean print! (The direct overhead light tends to show as many flaws as possible, but viewed normally, it looks pretty good.)
IMG_8386_small.JPG
IMG_8386_small.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 3063 times
This is it immediately after printing with zero post-processing (those little burrs on the front surface flaked off with my fingernail):
IMG_8384_small.JPG
IMG_8384_small.JPG (137.99 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
And this angle shows the little "toothpick" supports on the back:
IMG_8385_small.JPG
IMG_8385_small.JPG (103.03 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Attached to this post is the .3mf and .gcode for the normal sized Uzebox logo that prints really well on my Prusa MK3S+.
Attachments
Small_Uzebox_Logo_Custom_Supports_Skinny_Toothpicks.zip
Uzebox emblem sized for the official 3D printed Uzebox enclosure, optimized for 0.1mm layer height on FDM printer.
(440.71 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

It was just the Logo.STL file from your Thingiverse page
Oh!! :lol: I thought you remodeled it somehow because I was surprised it didn't look more faceted after being scaled up so much. That's good then, ready to print.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I tried to use Blender's subdivide surface to make it smoother looking, but it didn't play nice with the hard edges. If you know how to smooth it out while keeping the proper shape, I'd love to have that version.

Ever since I printed out the big silver one, my son has been begging me to print a big one out for him, but in metallic hot pink. I used that as an opportunity to test out an improved style of built-in supports, and no automatic supports on the bottom, which gave a nicer finish on the top overhang, and took less time to print (6hrs 41mins). The Prusament "Ms. Pink" definitely prints better for me than their "My Silverness". I'm not sure what it is, but the surface finish on the Ms. Pink is absolutely amazing.

If anyone wants to try the new improved (and faster printing!) giant logo, I've also attached it to this post.
IMG_8394_small.JPG
IMG_8394_small.JPG (249.41 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
IMG_8387_small.JPG
IMG_8387_small.JPG (236.03 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
Attachments
Giant_Uzebox_Logo_Snug.zip
.3mf and .gcode for this improved giant version.
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I tried to use Blender's subdivide surface to make it smoother looking, but it didn't play nice with the hard edges. If you know how to smooth it out while keeping the proper shape, I'd love to have that version.
That thing was made in an old version of 3DSMAX I don't have any more so I just remade it in Fusion 360. Since it's now a body and not a mesh you can scale to taste and export to stl at higher resolution. Not: It's not at scale with the original one.

Also I tried the logo, first flat (the big one) they with your version. I had tons of issues with the big one as you can see (like pillowing etc). I used Cura's lightning infill and it didn't work as expected. Will have to retry that one day. The smaller one looks much better but again not perfect. I had no infill, too thin walls and used tree support. Also I used a very old crummy filament. I hope that with fresh new one and a few tweaks should look much better.

Ps: The uzebox case shown was printed on an HP jet fusion over at JLCPcb. Finish is pretty slick IMHO. More on that soon.
uze logo prints.jpg
uze logo prints.jpg (175.55 KiB) Viewed 3031 times
Attachments
Logo converted.zip
(330.19 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Wow, nice!

I don't have Fusion 360, but I was able to open the .obj file with Blender, though it doesn't look like the resolution of the obj file is any higher than the old logo, would you be able to export a high resolution STL from Fusion 360?

Yeah, that case looks amazing!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Artcfox wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:54 am Wow, nice!

I don't have Fusion 360, but I was able to open the .obj file with Blender, though it doesn't look like the resolution of the obj file is any higher than the old logo, would you be able to export a high resolution STL from Fusion 360?

Yeah, that case looks amazing!
I think I exported at the maximum or at least a very high resolution. If I find a way to make it better I'll post it here.