Keyboard adapter v2?

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
danboid

Re: Keyboard adapter v2?

Post by danboid »

I was going to ask if we could use PS2 mice with it.

I thought your new Uzebox computer OS might be using a mouse for some things Uze but it would seem that isn't the case and so I shouldn't be expecting a Uzepaint in the first release.

Someone should remake Lemmings or Worms on the Uzebox for a good mouse game. The Uzebox is about the only console without a Lemmings conversion as is.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I gave the mouse thing and GUI OS a lot of thinking and it's not practical for the Uzebox considering the low resources. The SNES mouse is supported for those inclined to do mouse-based games though. You can still buy new ones made by Hyperkin.
ry755

Post by ry755 »

uze6666 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:28 pm I gave the mouse thing and GUI OS a lot of thinking and it's not practical for the Uzebox considering the low resources. The SNES mouse is supported for those inclined to do mouse-based games though. You can still buy new ones made by Hyperkin.
I tested that Hyperkin SNES mouse a while ago and it turned out to not work exactly like the original, enough to the point that the Uzebox doesn't play nicely with it. I'm sure it could be made to work with some kernel modifications though. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11101

As for the GUI thing, back in like 2019-2020 I attempted to make exactly that. It utilized a small virtual machine called EmbedVM (https://embedvm.com/) to run user applications. I never shared it anywhere because it was incredibly hacky and unstable. But I still have the source code so I may end up revisiting it at some point and rewrite it.
https://i.imgur.com/aGPHuUc.png
danboid

Post by danboid »

I built the keyboard adapter today. It seems to mostly work but it (unsurprisingly) uses a US keymap which clashes with my UK PS2 keyboard which isn't a big problem as they're pretty similar but the arrow keys don't work in the KeyboardDemo. Instead the arrow keys print numbers:

Up = 8
Down = 2
Left = 4
Right = 6

As if I was using the numpad with numlock on. Num lock, caps lock and scroll lock don't work either.

KeyboardDemo.hex claims to be GW-BASIC? Is it really? I tried doing the immortal Hello World of BASIC ie

Code: Select all

10 PRINT "EY OOP WURLD"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
but nothing happened so is it not really a functional port of GW-BASIC?
Last edited by danboid on Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I've given the Uzenet demo a quick go too and again the arrow keys don't work but also backspace and delete don't work either.

Is it possible to use the Uzenet demo to telnet into a telnet server?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

One nice thing about the Hyperkin is it appears to be optical, which is a pretty huge upgrade.

@danboid
Interesting, is it a qwerty keyboard that has umlauts? It might be possible to add a conversion table into the keyboard firmware, where one could compile time option. I'm assuming there aren't any characters which aren't in ASCII. Surprises me it would send different scancodes for arrow keys though.

I've stopped myself several times from starting, but I always thought Worms in a SPI RAM video mode would be sweet.
danboid

Post by danboid »

DA:

My keyboard is a UK keymap Viglen keyboard which is a rebranded Ceratech Accuratus ACK-260.

Are you implying you've got the keyboard adapter and the arrow keys work with a US keyboard?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I haven't ran the keyboard demo in a long while, but I didn't remember such issues. I'll have to get things in order to where I can actually test that on hardware instead of memory.

This seems to cover a lot of caveats on scancodes, and there are some places a keyboard will send out "fake shifts" apparently. Not sure how or if that relates to the issue:
https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/s ... html#ss1.6

I'm comparing the 2 and I can't see why things would be different. Maybe the arrow keys are affecting the US as well?
https://kbdlayout.info/kbdus/scancodes? ... nt=ANSI104
https://kbdlayout.info/kbduk/scancodes? ... nt=ANSI104
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

The keyboard demo is very old and doesn't support all scan codes because it didn't need to. Whatever the keyboard language, scan codes for direction keys (at least) should not change. The latest keyboard lib now in the kernel support pretty much all useful keys. I just have to update the demo.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Ultimately I think emulator support is critical, and would be way more convenient to develop/update such things.

A bit chicken and the egg, but many of the coolest uses(telnet/etc) for keyboard IMO also require ESP8266. Again I think a "killer app" needs to exist. Along with M74, all this potential being under-utilized bothers me on some subconcious system think level :lol: