DIY Uzebox / SNES arcade joystick

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
danboid

Re: DIY Uzebox / SNES arcade joystick

Post by danboid »

I'd guess the case alone must be about 400g. When its fully built I'll get it weighed.

I'd presume the SNES mouse protocol could be re-used to create a ball controller.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Huh actually SNES mouse guts would probably work. Now I forget if I ever tested the 3rd party SNES mice, but presumably they would work.

With the arcade parts in there, that will be hefty. Pretty sure this will be the most legit Uzebox controller out there.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I didn't know until today that the X68K had a mouse that converted into a trackball. See about 34m into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdEwjLT2sB8
danboid

Post by danboid »

Quick update on the joystck. The buttons I ordered were too deep so they need to be swapped for more shallow ones and I thought that was happening yesterday but I won't get to the arcade shop until Friday now as they shut early yesterday so hopefully I'll get to build it this weekend. I could've returned stuff in the post but its not too long a drive to the shop so I'd rather do the return in person rather than risk any postal problems.

This video pretty much shows how I'll be wiring up the buttons and joystick to my clone pad because the pad used in this video is identical to my working clone SNES pads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvknynidtlM
danboid

Post by danboid »

I got my Uzebox joystick built yesterday and its fantastic! I have updated the first post with pics and the details.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

danboid wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:11 pm I got my Uzebox joystick built yesterday and its fantastic! I have updated the first post with pics and the details.
Very cool! It looks huge compared to the Uzebox itself. Wow!

What are the hexagonal holes above the buttons?
danboid

Post by danboid »

Artcfox wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:24 pm
danboid wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:11 pm I got my Uzebox joystick built yesterday and its fantastic! I have updated the first post with pics and the details.
What are the hexagonal holes above the buttons?
The case designer created it for a Brooks Ultimate Fighting Board and those holes are for the Start/Select/Menu/Turbo buttons.

It would be nice if someone did a non hex hole revision of the case but it didn't bug me enough to bother.

Speaking of holes, the holes for the joystick plate weren't quite wide enough for the nuts so I had to use a drill bit to make them a bit wider.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

nice work.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Always wanted an arcade stick and this look awesome. Great work!
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks Uze!

I have updated the OP with instructions for making your own handle for the joystick.