The Retro Desk's 8-bit fractal drawing benchmark

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
danboid

Re: The Retro Desk's 8-bit fractal drawing benchmark

Post by danboid »

I have suggested Matt add the Uzebox version of the mandelbrot test to his repo as it supports almost every other platform ever:

https://github.com/SlithyMatt/multi-man ... /issues/16

and I've also updated the Uzebox post on the X16 forum to let them know who the true 8 bit speed demon is!
danboid

Post by danboid »

I commented on one of the Retro Desk's recent videos and asked him to cover the Uzebox and he said he'd be happy to cover it if someone sent him one.

https://youtu.be/UxLk_X8VIK8

I don't suppose anyone has a Uzebox they'd be willing to send to Matt (The RetroDesk) in the name of a bit of extra promotion for the platform? He has over 10K subscribers on YT currently so its not a BIG channel yet but its quality stuff and I'm sure he'll only get more subs.

He's not getting my world record holding production time Uzebox of legend but someome (CF?) might just have a Uzebox they could send to him? He can then redo his 8-bit battle royale benchmarks to show Uzebox as the fastest 8-bit platform!

Speaking of dontaing Uzeboxes for publicity, I'm tempted to build another and then gift it to one of the UK computing museums, giving preference to one that will let people play on it and not just have it in a case. That seems like a worthwhile promo investment.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Does someone also have to write the code for the fractal benchmark - seeing as Uzebox has neither BASIC or a bitmap mode for that kind of thing?
danboid

Post by danboid »

Alec has done it already - see post #8.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I commented on one of the Retro Desk's recent videos and asked him to cover the Uzebox and he said he'd be happy to cover it if someone sent him one.
Man I just love that. :D I sure can send one, just PM me the address! Hopefully it will be ready in time for the next battle royale of the 8-bit micros. And we sure could include a Basic version in anyone knows of a direct port for the AVR. In any cases, we'll share the fun of optimizing the code before sending it.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Excellent!

I have emailed Matt and told him to send you his address.

I released a final version of IKD since you've been gone so you can announce that now. Rob Hubbard said nice things about it so it doesn't need better promotion than that. I've "fixed" the stl files for the Uzebox buttons so it'd be cool if you could upload those to thingiverse to replace the current buttons which didn't fit my Uzebox case. You should probably also announce netloader on the uzebox site too although it does need some work yet, its a bit alpha but its also very cool loading Uzebox games via wifi!

Any comment on making some (mostly complete) Uzebox component kits available?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Perfect! I won't be able to catch up all the forums any time soon, so if you could send me a PM with the 'urgent' things todo and perhaps link to the forums topics. That would help me greatly.
Any comment on making some (mostly complete) Uzebox component kits available?
Depends what you want to hear. ;) Doing kits is a lot of work and research to gather and pack all the components (parts, joypad, sd card, etc). Lately it's been getting harder to get joypads and sd card in quantity at a reasonable price. Handling a store and the shipping also takes time. And let's not forget about fronting the money to buy in bulk.

I don't see myself being able to do that for the foreseeable future. But I can assist anyone would would want to do it with all my knowledge of the process, the packaging, stickers and labels, etc.
danboid

Post by danboid »

No that not what I meant as it sounds too labour intensive and not really practical in the long term.

What I mean by a kit is a "kit" at digikey that includes all the components bar the PCB and the SNES connectors. Artcfox has mentioned these before. It sounds like you should be able to set one up on the digkey site then people can buy the kit and you don't need to do anything then except maybe pick replacement components if/when any parts availablility expires. If we could combine this with a one click way for people to order the PCB then we have removed the biggest barriers for people wanting to build a Uzebox and we'll see more takers.