Wiki is severly outdated, needs to be more friendly

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
Artcfox

Re: Wiki is severly outdated, needs to be more friendly

Post by Artcfox »

danboid wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:30 am Have you told the Debian gcc-avr maintainer about this update Artcfox?

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?log ... debian.org
I have not. What's nice is you can just extract a whole bunch of the official toolchains in the same root directory and switch among them just by changing your path. That way you can pick the version that give you the best output for what you are trying to achieve.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Why would we not want to always use the latest stable gcc-avr?
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

danboid wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:13 am Why would we not want to always use the latest stable gcc-avr?
Things like this can happen with newer versions: https://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2254

And back when I tested a whole bunch of toolchain versions, there was a big variation in the generated assembly/code size for the different versions, some versions producing incorrect code: https://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2304

Stuff like that is why I've been cautious about just blindly switching over to the newer toolchain version. I've been trying to compare the generated ASM in order to see if it's actually better or worse. In a lot of cases, compiling with -Os with the newer compiler did make the code smaller, but often by trading speed for that smaller size.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I think the wiki is in much better shape now after Uze recently updated the Windows instructions and made a few other tweaks on top of my ongoing efforts to document all the things.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Thanks guys for improving this stuff!
Artcfox wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:42 am ...And back when I tested a whole bunch of toolchain versions, there was a big variation in the generated assembly/code size for the different versions...
I just blindly use the latest, but I always wondered if that was good. I suppose it's likely game specific, but what version are you using in general/for Unicorn?
danboid

Post by danboid »

I run Debian testing on my laptop and I use the default avr-gcc in the Debian testing repo which is currently avr-gcc 5.4.0
ry755

Post by ry755 »

danboid wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:20 pm I run Debian testing on my laptop and I use the default avr-gcc in the Debian testing repo which is currently avr-gcc 5.4.0
Yikes that's still really old, on my Fedora 37 box I have avr-gcc 12.1.0.

Code: Select all

$ avr-gcc --version
avr-gcc (Fedora 12.1.0-2.fc37) 12.1.0
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

ry755 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:31 am
danboid wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:20 pm I run Debian testing on my laptop and I use the default avr-gcc in the Debian testing repo which is currently avr-gcc 5.4.0
Yikes that's still really old, on my Fedora 37 box I have avr-gcc 12.1.0.

$ avr-gcc --version
avr-gcc (Fedora 12.1.0-2.fc37) 12.1.0
I wonder if that has all of the Atmel (now Microchip) patches applied, since the latest official version on Microchip's website is 7.3.0. One example that used to be different is the avr-objdump command has extra parameters specific to AVR chips. I'm not on a computer now but IIRC one of the specific parameters is -A.
ry755

Post by ry755 »

Artcfox wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:14 am I wonder if that has all of the Atmel (now Microchip) patches applied, since the latest official version on Microchip's website is 7.3.0. One example that used to be different is the avr-objdump command has extra parameters specific to AVR chips. I'm not on a computer now but IIRC one of the specific parameters is -A.
Interesting, `avr-objdump -A` returns this: ("<help output>" added by me)

$ avr-objdump -A
avr-objdump: invalid option -- 'A'
<help output>
At the end of the listed help output, it says this:

avr-objdump: supported targets: elf32-avr elf32-little elf32-big srec symbolsrec verilog tekhex binary ihex plugin
avr-objdump: supported architectures: avr avr:1 avr:2 avr:25 avr:3 avr:31 avr:35 avr:4 avr:5 avr:51 avr:6 avr:100 avr:101 avr:102 avr:103 avr:104 avr:105 avr:106 avr:107
Anyways this is getting off-topic so we should probably move to the avr-gcc thread.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I created this topic to keep track of minor updates I make to the Uzebox wiki:

viewtopic.php?t=11386

More major additions I have been creating new topics for in the Tools, Documentation & Tutorials sub-forum.