Updated "Getting started on the Uzebox" page

Topics on software tools like TileStudio, comments on documentation and tutorials (or the lack of) should go here.
danboid

Re: Updated "Getting started on the Uzebox" page

Post by danboid »

It sounds like you've never given Linux a proper go then? I love being able to run exactly the same software across multiple architectures, having access to all the source code, the vastly superior updates system, Linux's almost universal hardware support and wider range of options for everything that Linux offers. ZFS vs NTFS for example isn't even a fair comparison.

I would recommend using Debian testing, which is what they run at Google. You get new versions of stuff but its not as prone to update issues as Arch Linux, Debian's updates are very dependable.I would recommend you check out Arch Linux too if you ever find the time because its packaging system is much faster and nicer (easier to create packages for) than Debians and but thats only really an issue for Debian package maintainers, not the users. For servers I'd recommend Proxmox VE which is based on Debian but it has better ZFS support than any other Linux distro. Regular Debian doesn't have any ZFS support in its installer.

When installing regular Debian (not Promox), if you install to BTRFS you can take advantage of snapshots to make your system pretty much bulletproof to OS/software issues. Both ZFS and BTRFS allow you to instantly revert to previous snapshots from the GRUB bootloader menu. Killer feature.

Back on topic, I've updated the tutorials section of the Getting started wiki page with CF's recommended AVR assembly links and I've changed the name of the "Programming games for the Uzebox" to the more accurate "Flashing the Uzebox".
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Will changing names of Wiki pages break links?
danboid

Post by danboid »

I'd expect so although I've not tested it on the Uzebox wiki.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

danboid wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:15 pm I'd expect so although I've not tested it on the Uzebox wiki.
We probably shouldn't be breaking links if it doesn't auto-forward them.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Huh?

I've not changed the name of any pages. I thought you were asking because you were thinking of doing that. What gave you the impression I broke a link?

EDIT

I see why you say that, because I changed the name of a header. I doubt any pages or links would've been linked to the header that I changed because it is less than one paragraph and TBH I think we could safely remove that section anyway because its only a summary of the flashing process. The full instructions are on the avrdude page.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

We probably shouldn't be breaking links if it doesn't auto-forward them.
For info, we can renames pages in the wiki. It allows you to add an auto-redirect from the old name.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Wow, that is more advanced than I thought it was! Very cool.