Linux audio and JACK cheatsheet

This forum is for artists to post their music and graphics or discuss artistic matters that could be used in Uzebox games.
danboid

Re: JACK and Linux audio cheatsheet

Post by danboid »

D3thAdd3r wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:56 am Great info thank you. This should be on the Wiki.
I requested but was never granted access to the wiki.

Can you help with that Artcfox?

It would be good to see the main UB web site updated to give some well deserved coverage to Starduino and Artcfox's unicorn game etc.

Thanks
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

danboid wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:39 pm I requested but was never granted access to the wiki.

Can you help with that Artcfox?
I don't have any admin rights. Maybe send a PM to uze6666?
danboid wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:39 pm It would be good to see the main UB web site updated to give some well deserved coverage to Starduino and Artcfox's unicorn game etc.
Definitely for the Starduino port, and the new Football game, but my little demo isn't even close to being a game yet, so it shouldn't be featured anywhere!

Typically I don't post anything about any of my in-progress works, but I figured that it might be good to get feedback and bounce some ideas off of people. And maybe even inspire others who may be lurking to come out of the woodwork and post more.
Last edited by Artcfox on Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I appreciate the tips for the music stuff, I will have to try some of the updates you posted once I'm back to my desktop machine. Right now I'm on a 6 year old Chromebook that I reflashed with coreboot, and it only has a 16 GB drive in it, so it's always perilously close to running out of disk space, and I can't really install much of anything on it. It boots from completely powered off in just a few seconds, and all the hardware is perfectly supported, and the battery life is totally amazing though.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I'm almost tempted to buy a Chromebook off that, what seeing as you can run proper Linux under ChromeOS now, A related trend is that if you want the most secure 3rd party OS on your Android phone, the Google Pixel phones are the one to go for as there are a couple of security/freedom focused roms that only support the pixel phones now.

I think you're mainly concerned about MIDI sequencing Artcfox rather than any audio stuff so you should have a look at both qtractor and muse and decide which one suits you best. Both apps have better plugin support than rosegarden. The only "advantage" RG has is it supports creating / editing musical notation on staves but if you want to do that then musescore is what you want, not RG.
danboid

Re: Linux audio and JACK cheatsheet

Post by danboid »

I have tidied this document up a bit and moved it onto the wiki:

https://uzebox.org/wiki/Linux_audio_and_JACK_cheatsheet
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Nice! I'm glad the wiki is getting some love.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I made another addition to it tonight. I added a link to http://programarcadegames.com/ to the tutorials section.

" If you're totally new to programming and games development but wish to learn how to write video games you are recommended to read this book. Although this book teaches the reader how to write games in python using pygame, all of the concepts explained are applicable to writing games in C using the Uzebox Api and it also primes the reader nicely for learning godot and gdscript, one of the most popular open source game engines."

http://programarcadegames.com is how I learned python and simple games development. I have been able to write IKD after reading that book and watching Artcfox's Uzebox tutorial videos, pretty much.

Most books on programming are terribly dry but Program Arcade Games With Python And Pygame manages to teach python from scratch whilst keeping it fun and interesting by explaining python through games dev related examples.
danboid

Post by danboid »

fluida.lv2 is a LV2 soundfont playback plugin. Its what I use to mock up MIDI tracks in qtractor with and last week its author fixed it so that it now works with XDG user directories, "bookmarks" for soundfont paths within its file selector which makes it easier to configure new instances after I reported that wasn't working. I then added the instructions for adding new XDG user paths to the fluida.lv2 README.

https://github.com/brummer10/Fluida.lv2