gconvert png converter, utracker

This forum is for artists to post their music and graphics or discuss artistic matters that could be used in Uzebox games.
nicksen782

Re: gconvert png converter, utracker

Post by nicksen782 »

Perhaps it should be added as a link. Both programs do the job although I prefer mine (lol.)

I have updated my gconvertJS to support JSON output (not useful for Uzebox but for another project of mine.) Additionally, the UAM feature where you can log in now has the batch convert working. This requires a UAM login and at this point a local install of UAM and GconvertJS.

Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Do you think that I should create a tutorial video for GconvertJS? I think so. I could add that to the link also.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Tutorial vids are always useful for anything graphical or GUI based. I know I greatly prefer to watch videos instead or reading instructions when I'm learning to use a new (web) GUI based app.

The more good tutorial vids the community creates, the more new users and devs the platform potentially attracts, if the videos are tagged, described well and reasonably well produced. I don't think they require flashy production, they just need to be clear and to the point with minimal mess and waffle.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I agree although not 100%. Video tutorials can be excellent. However, I appreciate when a tutorial can be read and followed. In a tutorial, ideally, I would want both a video and a readable version even if that is only the transcript of the video.

I'm working very hard on another video game project, JSGAME (currently rebuilding.) I expect very much to be making some of those games available on Uzebox. Also, I want tutorials too and I intend to make them as both a video and something that can be scrolled through and read. GconvertJS is actually the graphics converter for JSGAME too. When it's ready the tutorial will cover Uzebox and JSGAME since the only difference is the output setting.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I presume JSGAME is a JS game engine?

Why another JS game engine, if its not just for the fun of making it? I know Godot has a HTML5 export so what does JSGAME offer that godot or one of several other existing open source JS/HTML5 games engines not offer already? Have you tried godot?
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

No, I had not heard of godot. Yes, JSGAME is intended to be a game engine, in JavaScript and not just single-thread JavaScript but with WebWorkers for the drawing or other heavy-lifting. Godot looks pretty awesome though. It may be something that I want to check out.

It IS for the fun of making it and I am making it in vanilla JavaScript for the most part. I have gamepad/keyboard input, graphics and fade effects. Graphics are tile-based and work on a similar concept of tilesets and tilemaps as Uzebox does. I'm not using any libraries on the front-end although for music/sound I do intend to use a library, at least as an option. The browser is a very different "platform" than it was years ago.

Uze once decided to create a thing and share it. I'm creating a thing that can eventually be shared too. It's a real test of programming skills. It's not easy. I'm primarily a web-programmer that works with data. Making a game-anything can be quite a challenge and it has already lead me to learning new skills that I actually use at work.

So, yeah, I'm making a thing because I want to. If my goal was to just play games then I have entire worlds of games to choose from. However, I want to create those worlds and those games.

I do have intentions of porting my own Uzebox games (finished/unfinished) and porting some new JSGAME games back to Uzebox. The result ends up being more games. Can't lose there, right? ;)
danboid

Post by danboid »

Sounds like a cool project and you're learning new stuff doing it so it is worthwhile.

You absolutely want to check out godot. It's 3D performance and features lag behind the big boy AAA engines but its regarded as one of the best modern 2D game engines and godot is much, much MUCH more lightweight than Unity and Unreal. The standard Linux build of godot comes in a 38 MB zip file.

godot has its own language called gdscript which is almost identical to python or you can use C# instead if that works better for you. You can export Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS and HTML5 versions of your games and its MIT licensed. godot had a good chance of becoming the industry standard game engine, at least for indie games. It's advancing rapidly and has lots of contributors working on it. It's a must to check out if you're interested in games dev and obviously you are.