Atxmega Videogame Console NEW!

Discuss anything not related to the current Uzebox design like successors and other open source gaming hardware
D3thAdd3r

Re: Atxmega Videogame Console NEW!

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Uzebox.loveConnect = FAILED;
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Uzebox.loveConnect = FAILED;
:?:
Janka

Post by Janka »

The whole story of that nickname is at all times there have been too many Jans in my peer group (epidemic like "Kevin" a few years later) and seemingly everybody gets a knot in their head when trying to read my surename Kandziora, so I told them to call me Jan K. ("Jan Ka"). Don't know why it's such a problem, I mean it's not Krsprczk. Must be a secret Jedi power ("This isn't the man you are looking for").

Sorry for not being female. :mrgreen: Can't do anything about it.
Last edited by Janka on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Uze-
Just giving tinctu a good natured tease because I found the gender debate humorous...at least it seemed so to me :P
Tinctu

Post by Tinctu »

Hahaha well I was just asking. I know lot of Jana/Janka/Jane girls/womans. In Europe it is very popular name.
So thats I was asking. So maybe in another parallel universe, string theory...

Back to topic.
Well ATXMega will be next logical step after AVR.
But why not even FPSLIC or AVR32 AP7 or UC3 CPUs or even ATSAM ARM CPU???

FPSLIC (AVR with FPGA)
FPGA 5K to 40K gates
SRAM for the AVR program code, unlike all other AVRs
AVR core can run at up to 50 MHz
- soundchip or videoprocessor/blitter in FPGA, 50MHz

AVR32
simd
dsp
- something like Nintendo NES

Huge power. So games can be like on AMIGA 1200, PC386 or ARCADE MACHINES from 90s.
mast3rbug

Post by mast3rbug »

The main Idea here is to keep the design simple and on the same development tool than the UZEBOX. I really love AVR STUDIO it's really the best of all. Simple to install, simple to use. Did you tried to install an ARM development toolchain? It's a pain, really, and it doesn't work, always need to search for solution on internet. If someone here have a functional ARM development tool chain installed with a on chip debugger, I'm interested to have the procedure.

Mast3rbug
Tinctu

Post by Tinctu »

true true!
mast3rbug

Post by mast3rbug »

Hi.

I have not posted any news about my Atxmega console project since long time. I was working on it each week. But I passed a lot of time not on the console, but on WINAVR. I had some problem to force the compiler to use specific FLASH memory for Music and Graphics. Also, I wanted to add LOOP and Volume feature for each track in the music module, and increased audio Quality. Finally, I had to integrate all that stuff into the Scanline, without using CPU time, because at 64 MHZ, I have 3 "NOP" for each Dot, so it was possible to load/Mix tracks/Volumes between each DOT process in the scanline, replacing NOP with useful instructions. The kernel with C function is written to 90%, almost finished. I will start to write my first game soon. I will post frequent update, from time to time, when I will have evolution in the work.

For now, a small youtube Video of the SOUND with VIDEO integration. The song is a remake of a 300K .MOD 12 track (title: 2 Hard4You), rebuild from the start with MilkyTracker to fit into 62K Flash Memory with 4 tracks audio. Enjoy!

Mast3rbug.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Great work as usual, thats a heck of a lot of sprites...and I love the song too, gotta love those samples! twilight zone from two unlimited was a favorite of mine back then. :mrgreen:
mast3rbug

Post by mast3rbug »

uze6666 wrote:Great work as usual, thats a heck of a lot of sprites...and I love the song too, gotta love those samples! twilight zone from two unlimited was a favorite of mine back then. :mrgreen:

Yes. Was one of my favorite too. This one is a mix of Mortal Kombat and Twilight Zone.

For the sprites, Yes it's a lot. But since the console is memory mapped instead of Tile mapped, The number of sprite is unlimited (ho! two unlimited lol). What is limited is animation speed VS number of sprites.

Mast3rbug