All Uzebox Games Online! (Cuzebox and Emscripten)

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
Jubatian

Re: All Uzebox Games Online! (Cuzebox and Emscripten)

Post by Jubatian »

nicksen782 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:14 pmAh, so, put a string or something at the end of the datafile? It could be known what the offset to that string should be. If the string is not there, then poof! Bad file alert. Do I have this correct? If so, this is a pretty simple test that ought to be easy to implement. And I would run it if the new bootloader isn't detected.
Yes, that would be it. You could run it regardless of bootloader version if you would like to cache some locations within the file anyway for faster access during the game. Skimming the file this way isn't slow, and at some point it would have to be done anyway to eventually get to the farthest bytes, so if you cache, that would insure that in case of the new bootloader, transitions during the game would be faster.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

nice (pronounced niouse)

It can ever run the RLE demo with the UART interrupt ended scan lines.

Thank you to both you and Jubatian for this :)
ry755

Post by ry755 »

CunningFellow wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:09 pm nice (pronounced niouse)
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Something I've just noticed. When selecting a game from the DB, you are not presented with a unique URL for the game anymore. How would you now go about linking directly to your game if you've forgot your old game id?
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Wow! That feature was missing. I put a link to the selected game's direct play url right next to the download as .zip button.

Thanks for the tip!
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Some of you may have noticed that I replaced the old Uzebox Online Player with a new one. The new one does mostly the same things but has a nicer interface (and is a re-write.)

I'm actually working on the next full version and am nearly finished. Are there any features that you may like?
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

nicksen782 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:07 am I'm actually working on the next full version and am nearly finished. Are there any features that you may like?
First off, absolutely epic work work up till now. This is such a cool tool for sharing and enjoying games when hardware might not be readily available or you might not have the knowledge to setup a tool chain to build a native emulator. Well done!

Ok, so here is my wishlist for a new version:
  • Gamepad support. For two players.
  • Full screen mode.
  • User registration allowing developers to upload and maintain their own games.
  • Linked to from the uzebox domain. eg. 'uzebox.org/emulator'.
  • Debug mode off by default or perhaps have the setting persist via a cookie.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Oh! Great! Suggestions are welcome.

Current feature request list:
  • Finished: Full screen mode. Available via a button as well as double-clicking on the emulator canvas.
  • Finished: Debug mode off by default. UAM will turn it on automatically but the stand-alone emulator has the debug mode off by default.
  • Unfinished: Gamepad support. For two players. Do you mean actual game pad controllers? I'll try to figure this one out.
  • Unfinished: User registration allowing developers to upload and maintain their own games. The games database is has an interface but it is admin only and through UAM. UAM allows for users to be created and for games to be assigned to them as their author. Perhaps I could make a more simple interface just for game authors. This is a good idea.
    • UAM is the management tool that allows for user logins/sessions and it unlocks features that are normally unavailable in the stand-alone versions such as compiling a game. My main dev environment is online and only accessible via login. I'm not so sure how to both secure the logins and keep the local and remote games databases in sync. Additionally, a Makefile or Bash script can do practically anything. I'm not so sure that it is a good idea to make that part public without serious thought to security. You could download a full copy and use it like I do if you like. That would work and the toolset is really convenient as a sort of one-stop-shop. Write code, do gconvert, compile and even play your game via web interfaces. You'll need Apache, PHP, and SQLite. I will think on this and am open to suggestions.
  • Unfinished: Linked to from the uzebox domain. eg. 'uzebox.org/emulator'. I don't have control over uzebox.org. Uze6666 has indicated to me in the past that he would like it hosted or at least accessible via uzebox.org. What about a redirect from uzebox.org/emulator to where I am hosting it now?
  • I no longer have the Emscripten instance inside of an iframe. It is modular now. It will still appear to work the same way though. I am hoping for a noticeable speed benefit.

The Uzebox Online Player supports Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. It does NOT support Internet Explorer. Believe me, I tried. I tried hard and I did actually get it to run. However, there was no sound and the frame-rate was terrible. Previous versions did not work with Internet Explorer either so this isn't anything new other than the fact that I actually did get it "running" (poorly) this time. Trying to get it working on Internet Explorer 11 was a challenge. I do not expect people to actually use it. This is overall a dev-tool after all. Oh well.

Check my github for OnlineUzeboxPlayer. The "update" branch has the new stuff until I feel confident enough to merge it into master. But, it isn't 100% ready yet although it certainly does work at this point.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

nicksen782 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:59 am
  • Unfinished: Gamepad support. For two players. Do you mean actual game pad controllers? I'll try to figure this one out.
Yeah hardware game controllers. You can perhaps look toward the W3C standard gamepad api for this: https://www.w3.org/TR/gamepad/
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

It now ships with two CUzeBox Emscripten builds. One for ASM.js and the other for Web Assembly. If your browser supports Web Assembly then that is the core that will be loaded. Otherwise, you get ASM.js. On the emulator window you can see which core you are using. There is also a toggle there that will let you reload the window using the alternate core if you would like to try it.

The admin database manager is working now also. I am still looking to see how I can make it so that individual authors can add/remove their games and perform edits/updates to the stored files and database data.

None of my gamepads that I have seem to work with the browser gamepad API even though they are seen by my OS. This is probably an OS driver thing. Once I do get this working I will provide a setup button that will open a screen where you can change button mapping. I'll store the configuration in Local Storage (or maybe the database for logged in users too.) You would need to pick your gamepad from a list. It looks like the browser API supports up to 4 gamepads.

I'll probably continue to host the application on my own web host. However, a link from uzebox.org/emulator may still be a good redirect link. I'll figure it out later.

It is hosted at: https://nicksen782.net/UAM5/APP_emu/emu.php . I appreciate bug reports and feature requests.