Emulator(Native Android)

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
L4rry

Re: Emulator(Native Android)

Post by L4rry »

Nice! works a treat :)
ry755

Post by ry755 »

This is great! It's cool being able to play my favorite Uzebox games on the go. 8-) One small suggestion: would it be possible to add a way to get back to the bootloader without needing to restart the app? For example, using the standard Android back button?

Also, using Jubatian's new bootloader makes it much easier to select games.

https://i.imgur.com/e0ZS1ef.png
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

ry755 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:42 amThis is great! It's cool being able to play my favorite Uzebox games on the go. 8-) One small suggestion: would it be possible to add a way to get back to the bootloader without needing to restart the app? For example, using the standard Android back button?
Did you try the soft-reset combination? (SELECT + START + B + Y) In most games this should work and return you to the bootloader, at least if it is possible to press those buttons at once (on a computer keyboard this seems to be impossible). The FUzeBox has the same problem (reported recently by CharlieGreen), it doesn't have an exposed Reset switch, so you can only return to the bootloader with soft-reset.

If you wanted to reset the console with some emulator function, what would be easiest for the user on an Android? I never had a smartphone, I don't know how they handle. The emulator functions are accessible with "Fx" keys, those are almost fully populated now, it will need some thought to add more (maybe Shift + Fx, or rethink the UI, although I am not much into the latter, more interested in doing stuff with the AVR rather than the PC).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Using the back button would cause inadvertent presses to quit the game, I end up hitting the back button often when I play.

I think the soft reset is the best way, though I'm not sure of I updated the latest Android build to include Cuzebox with the soft-reset support.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Artcfox wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:11 pmI think the soft reset is the best way, though I'm not sure of I updated the latest Android build to include Cuzebox with the soft-reset support.
The soft-reset combination is part of the Uzebox kernel, so it doesn't matter which emulator you are using, it is almost always there ("almost" as if a game somehow omitted it, then, of course, it wouldn't work. The Flight of a Dragon demo for UCC-2016 is a notable example of it where I forgot).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Jubatian wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:23 pm
Artcfox wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:11 pmI think the soft reset is the best way, though I'm not sure of I updated the latest Android build to include Cuzebox with the soft-reset support.
The soft-reset combination is part of the Uzebox kernel, so it doesn't matter which emulator you are using, it is almost always there ("almost" as if a game somehow omitted it, then, of course, it wouldn't work. The Flight of a Dragon demo for UCC-2016 is a notable example of it where I forgot).
You made changes to Cuzebox to properly support the soft reset keys so it will return to the bootloader rather than just play a weird sound and then hang, but it looks like I never updated the Android build.
ry755

Post by ry755 »

Artcfox wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm You made changes to Cuzebox to properly support the soft reset keys so it will return to the bootloader rather than just play a weird sound and then hang, but it looks like I never updated the Android build.
Yeah, the reset key combo just causes it to freeze at a black screen. But it's not a big deal, the emulator is still awesome even without it. :)