Let's Code for the Uzebox?

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
Artcfox

Let's Code for the Uzebox?

Post by Artcfox »

I was thinking it would be great if there were some "Let's Code" style videos for coding games with the Uzebox. Maybe not a complete start to finish screen casting of the programming of an entire game, but at least to get the basics of the different video modes down, and maybe some demonstrations of the tools, and certain techniques.

To this end, I've learned how to easily set up a Debian Live DVD for 60fps screen recording while mixing in the sound from an external microphone, and I created the first in a series of videos that I'm planning to do around the Uzebox.

My goal is to make this process as streamlined as possible so anyone in the community that has knowledge they wish to share can also record some screen castings, since it seems that everyone here has a different focus and/or area of expertise. (I might even make a screen casting video about how to make a screen casting video in the future, even though it can be boiled down to changing the resolution, copying and pasting a single command into Terminal, and setting up two keyboard shortcuts for starting and stopping the recording.)

This is the first time I've ever attempted something like this, so I'd love to have some feedback.

Edit: I created a wiki page that will always point to the entire playlist, and in the future, may include detailed descriptions of each video, along with time coded links to certain sub-topics within each video:

Wiki Page - Let's Code for the Uzebox
YouTube Playlist - Let's Code for the Uzebox
Last edited by Artcfox on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Let's Code for the Uzebox?

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I like this. Well done especially in the fact you show the whole process of getting an operating system and development environment to develop with, in a manner of minutes, and explain every step and pertinent detail;even alluding to further subjects of development interest. I also quite like the idea of there being a series or something like that, where videos in the same format might take place about individual development subjects in greater depth. I have never seen anything that actually did a step by step on all this, that matches the accessibility of this format, so kudos to you. There should be a link to this on the wiki. I think it would be especially attractive to a new member who has some basic super user knowledge and wants to start programming Uzebox games without pointless trial, error, and digging around.
nmontmarquette

Post by nmontmarquette »

Great video Artcfox!
So mush so that I registered myself and decided to take a shot at the UzeBox!
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

nmontmarquette wrote:Great video Artcfox!
So mush so that I registered myself and decided to take a shot at the UzeBox!
Awesome! Welcome to the community.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. I've been planning more video tutorials in my head, just trying to figure out where to begin. I'm thinking maybe a short video on mode 3 non-scrolling first, and then one on mode 3 with scrolling.

If you have any suggestions, let me know!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Excellent video Matt! For the first one in the series I say it covers pretty much everything to get started, so that will be very useful to newbies. :) I could just be me, but the pace could be just a bit faster. In any cases, looking eagerly for the next parts!

@nmmonmarquette: Salut, content de te voir te joindre a la communauté!! :D
neslou

Post by neslou »

Hi all,
Great stuff Artcfox, you are doing what i think a lot of people need for increasing the adoption of the uzebox!!
I ever dream of something like this without the courage to do it..but you re-motivate me :D
I will do the same for the french community, that was my secret goal..lol...so bienvenue also à toi nmmonmarquette :-)
Zygurt

Post by Zygurt »

Thank you very much for this guide, and like others in this thread I'm looking forward to future parts.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Thanks guys, glad people are finding it helpful, because that will motivate me to make more.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I finally completed part 2 of my video tutorial series.

This covers the installation of the custom Uzebox color palette file into GIMP, configuring a grid to match your tile size, and the use of gconvert to convert your graphical tileset into an include file.

As part of this process, I'll walk you through creating a simple (mode 3 non-scrolling) Uzebox demo.

Also briefly covers using git to put your project files under source code control.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Great video again. This really has a ton of information and I like the extra little details you mention along the way. From someone trying to learn or improve their development process this should be a real head start and avoid the time wasted on reinventing the wheel. Excellent video series you have going here, and perhaps the ultimate "learn Uzebox" resource around. Well done!