your future plans?

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
schepers_cp

your future plans?

Post by schepers_cp »

i'm back i guess? :D

do you have anything big planned and happy about it, so you want to share it?

you can here i guess? :)

my plans of 2018:
help the uzebox project on a certain way (to be continued)
going to L.A. and Vegas 10 days from 6th of march by vacation (maybe i can meet someone from here????)
continue losing weight just like last year (lost over 13kg in 2017 :) )
pick up game maker programming again to create some simple games (and get more programming knowledge from more than just C/C++)
trying to be more active!

plans 2019:
going to tirol on my second ski vacation :D

note: this post might be edited once in a while with other plans i have
Artcfox

Re: your future plans?

Post by Artcfox »

Welcome back!

I'm planning on making more video tutorials, and hopefully creating and releasing a scrolling game sometime this year.
ry755

Post by ry755 »

I want to finish my UzeJump game. It's not a very complicated game, so I'm sure I'll get it finished soon. But the thing is, my motivation to work on the game comes and goes. Sometimes I'll wake up and think, "Hmm... I think I'll try to add X feature to UzeJump today." Then I spend a few hours programming, which is really fun! But other times, I just want to relax, maybe listen to some music. I need to be in a certain mood to actually want to program. School also takes up a lot of my time, and it's just going to take even more time as I get older.

Another thing I want to do is get started with creating music. I've downloaded the FL Studio and Ableton Live demos, but never really got around to really learning how to use them. I have cool ideas how I want the music to sound, but don't really know how to use the software to make it sound right. It just takes practice I guess.

Sorry about the rant. :roll:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Finish Super Hexagon
Finish LCD Handheld
Make new amazing video mode that will make peoples jaw drop and make T2K look amateurish
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Finish my portable Uzebox. God dammit, it's been over 3 years I started that thing! :oops: But quite frankly, I'm having fun right now...I've moved out of my old 3DS max version to 360 Fusion and it's night and day. If anybody here wants to get into 3D modeling it's the thing you have to go for. It's free and pretty damn does the job.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Well, so far I've made good on my "future plan" a few posts up to really learn how to use the Uzebox's video mode 3 with scrolling support.

Here is my proof of concept so far:

(YouTube makes it look a bit choppy, but on the real hardware it's buttery smooth.)

I guess now the next step will be to document this as thoroughly as possible (maybe even make a video tutorial), improve upon it, and then make a two-way scrolling game for this year's UCC.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

That looks pretty solid. I assume you are using the same physics engine as you used for Bugz? My next step is to get a full understanding of fixed point math for games and then building my own physics engine with that in mind. I'll definitely have a look at your engine. The physics are really smooth. I remember you mentioned you used some reference article/code to base your physics on. I'll see if I can find it in the forums. That would probably be a good starting point for me.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

L4rry wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:47 am That looks pretty solid. I assume you are using the same physics engine as you used for Bugz? My next step is to get a full understanding of fixed point math for games and then building my own physics engine with that in mind. I'll definitely have a look at your engine. The physics are really smooth. I remember you mentioned you used some reference article/code to base your physics on. I'll see if I can find it in the forums. That would probably be a good starting point for me.
Thanks! Yes, though I tweaked the world constants to give it a very different feel, and I had to change the code a bit to make it work with the scrolling mode. For fixed point, just pretend in your head that the tiles are more pixels across than they actually are, so your x and y coordinates get scaled up as if the screen had more pixels. Since the numbers become larger, that's where your extra precision comes from. If you shifted by 2 then you have an imaginary "binary point" that is 2 "binary places" over. Here is that article: https://codeincomplete.com/posts/tiny-platformer/ I'm planning on making a tutorial soon for the scrolling mode, because it was pretty easy to get it mostly correct, but very tricky to get perfectly correct.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Artcfox wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm Thanks! Yes, though I tweaked the world constants to give it a very different feel, and I had to change the code a bit to make it work with the scrolling mode. For fixed point, just pretend in your head that the tiles are more pixels across than they actually are, so your x and y coordinates get scaled up as if the screen had more pixels. Since the numbers become larger, that's where your extra precision comes from. If you shifted by 2 then you have an imaginary "binary point" that is 2 "binary places" over. Here is that article: https://codeincomplete.com/posts/tiny-platformer/ I'm planning on making a tutorial soon for the scrolling mode, because it was pretty easy to get it mostly correct, but very tricky to get perfectly correct.
Thank you. Yup, the boundary conditions for 4 way scrolling is tricky I found. Things like making sure you always have the right column/row off screen at the right time when you are changing direction or hitting a tile boundary. Looking forward the tut. Those vids are very helpful.
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

My newest plan I'm working on already, fit my desktop in a htpc case :P

And planning to move, needing more space :P