Doki Doki Literature Club

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
Artcfox

Doki Doki Literature Club

Post by Artcfox »

Has anyone played this game yet? It's free on Steam. I haven't played, but I've been watching other people play through the whole thing on YouTube. It's pretty much an interactive visual novel (quite disturbing, definitely not for everyone!), and since there isn't that much animation, I'm thinking it it might be possible to do some kind of Mode 1 streaming from SD card (assuming enough RAM tiles) with the text on the bottom. Definitely best played going into it blind without reading up on it, all I knew about it before I watched a Let's Play was that it was supposedly a scary horror game.

I did make some "fan art" for the Uzebox where I reworked a MIDI file, and set it to display one of the images from the game, but it's pretty horrific and definitely a game spoiler, so I don't want to post it here, but it was my first time using Mode 1.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Doki Doki Literature Club

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Sounds interesting!
ry755

Post by ry755 »

Hm, an interactive novel would be cool, kinda like those "Choose your own adventure" type of books. I'd definitely want to play a game like that!
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

It was created using Ren'Py, a free and open source engine for visual novels, written in Python, and it is possible to decompile the entire game and see all original sources (with comments!) and access all of the assets.

Obviously you couldn't run that engine, but as long as you could display close to full size bitmaps from the SD card, one might be able to pre-render all of the bitmaps that are usually composited on the fly, and then have a text window below.

Just throwing out some ideas.