XGS AVR "Ultra Demo"

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
uze6666
Site Admin

XGS AVR "Ultra Demo"

Post by uze6666 »

Just saw that on you Youtube. Intesresting effects, but resolution is pretty low (128x96). The second one is quite interesting though...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2MMMTw3SY[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgAvTf52SgE[/youtube]

Uze
pragma

Re: XGS AVR "Ultra Demo"

Post by pragma »

uze6666 wrote:Just saw that on you Youtube. Intesresting effects, but resolution is pretty low (128x96). The second one is quite interesting though...
Yea, I saw those; pretty impressive tech demos given that they're using the same specs we are! But you have to admit: that's some pretty slick raycasting going on there for #2. I wonder if it would be possible to do a whole map rather than repeat one tile: F-zero anyone?

Anyway, by halving the vertical resolution like that, it's almost like cheating. That's just gobs of extra cycles per line that get used for rendering, oh I don't know, 15 or more sprites to a secondary line buffer... and that's just based on the mode2 code. I'd be tempted to do that for my project if it wouldn't make Simon take up half the screen.

But we can totally do that wavy effect thing under some of the existing video modes on the Uzebox. I'm planning on it for the hirez sections in mode5. Something like 3 bits on the section flags byte for the sine wave amplitude, and a zen timer to control the phase, which then gets added to the x-scroll per line. The mirror effect is just an invert on the line counter per section - that wouldn't be too hard either.
DavidEtherton

Post by DavidEtherton »

Pretty bizarre resolution choice? 128x96?

Well, I guess it makes a certain amount of sense, since you get to keep a decent aspect ratio. Any idea what sort of timings they're using? ie are they scan-doubling and insetting the screen? 8, 9, or 10 cycles per pixel?

Also seems like it would be really easy to retarget to a cheap LCD screen too.

-Dave
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Considering it runs at the same overclocked speed as the Uzebox, this amount to ~11cycles per pixel for a 128 pixel wide resolution. Now, as pragma noted, scan lines are doubled per field, so (theoretically) you get double the cycles per line. Does that mean...22 cycles per pixel in the end? :)

But seriously, 128x 96...that too low. Look at the Mario picture on my main site, man it's almost a fifth of the screen tall!

Btw, anybody knows how the color is generated? From the XGS site the schematics picture is so crappy, it's impossible to read. Perhaps it explains the low resolution.

Uze
pragma

Post by pragma »

uze6666 wrote:Considering it runs at the same overclocked speed as the Uzebox, this amount to ~11cycles per pixel for a 128 pixel wide resolution. Now, as pragma noted, scan lines are doubled per field, so (theoretically) you get double the cycles per line. Does that mean...22 cycles per pixel in the end?
Pretty close. Assuming an A/B buffering scheme, where you render to buffer A while you read out from B and vice-versa, they can do a good deal of rendering. Assuming a software architecture like we have for mode2, that's enough time for 12 or so sprites per line - maybe more. It's also well suited to the painter's algorithm, allowing for full overlapping of sprites.
Btw, anybody knows how the color is generated? From the XGS site the schematics picture is so crappy, it's impossible to read. Perhaps it explains the low resolution.
The VGA out is functionally similar to NTSC, in that it has vsync and hsync signals, but the RGB color data is transmitted on their own pins; so no need to plex all that crap together into a luna/chroma/burst signal. This arrangement is ideal for pin-twiddling on something like the AVR, so I think they're generating the VGA timings in-band kind of like we are for NTSC.

In fact, I'd wager that thanks to your use of the NTSC encoder chip, the raw output of the AVR on the Uzebox is already very close to VGA compatible.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hmmm, fair enough for VGA, but I was more wondering about the composite video output. I'm gessing it uses some sort of johnson counter for the NTSC phase control?

Uze