Making my own nes o.O

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
Nikiz

Making my own nes o.O

Post by Nikiz »

I had once an clone NES, that had "76000 games in 1, more likely 76 games or less in 1 :D" and the PCB looked very simple. There was only two chips. one of them was of course the CPU, probably the 6502 and another one was the flash memory that had the games. I'm planning to make a NES clone myself because it looked so simple. The only thing is, that how to put games in? The NES cartridge slots are big and rare and for the flash chip, I could put only one rom to it. :/ And the flashers are very expensive. What would be the reasonable solution?
D3thAdd3r

Re: Making my own nes o.O

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Might not be as simple as you think. There does exist "NES on a chip" which probably is what you had. Definitely not a stock 6502, NES actually has 2 custom 6502s with sound and graphics built into them besides several discrete logic chips and ram. Perhaps a powerful microcontroller with a programmable gate array to act like the cartridge mappers could emulate the NES. There are good NES schematics on the net somewhere-start there to gauge the complexity.
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Hm, I would say it is not legal to copy 76 games with a copyright to your own EEPROM...perhaps in China but not in other parts of the world... ;)

For the Uzebox we have rewritten open source games - this is a difference.

-Harty
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

I don't know about other countries, but in the Netherlands i think it's legel to read the cardridge contents and use it in for example an emulator.
But then you need a device for reading the game and someway to put it in the flash memory.
Why don't you place a game cardridge connector on your pcb so you can insert the real cardridge?
But then again, it's probably a lot work to build a clone and used 8bits nintendos aren't that expensive to just buy.