Uzebox Patch Studio

Topics on software tools like TileStudio, comments on documentation and tutorials (or the lack of) should go here.
nebososo

Re: Uzebox Patch Studio

Post by nebososo »

OK, after struggling to get wxwidgets to work on windows, here's a 32 bit build.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Kl0x ... sp=sharing
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Works perfect on Windows. It has everything that is needed, and I am going to update my sound effects tutorials based on using this. I have done hundreds, maybe thousands, of rebuilds for the old "manual sound effects tweaking, make test code, try, wait, try, wait..." approach over the years across many games; you better believe I know exactly the benefit this tool gives for the developer! Anyway, excellent contribution nebososo, this is how Uzebox sound effects are made now...so much time and frustration saved 8-)

If you are going to use a custom(remove what you don't use) sounds.inc for the waveforms, you can just develop with the full normal set, than change the wave numbers in the patches to reflect the removed ones. If you ever get to it, I think it would be an extra convenience if you could load custom sounds.inc files but it's nothing that holds a developer back really.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

So it's easier for people to discover this great tool, I created a wiki page for Uzebox Patch Studio, and added links from the main Tools section, and from the Sound Resources section.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Thanks for making this, we needed such a tool for a long time! Using emulation is the way to go. Btw, did you use the actual C code for the uzebox engine or recreated it from scratch?

Do you have a feature request list? Right away, two things would be very useful to me: the ability to insert a new command at the selected line (instead of at the end) and also a 'piano' keyboard to be able to play the patch at different notes.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

uze6666 wrote:and also a 'piano' keyboard to be able to play the patch at different notes.
I second this, right now it seems like it is not possible to play a patch without it having a pitch command, it would be useful if it was easier to test it with different pitches (if you aimed to use it as an instrument rather than an effect).

Another thing is a support for loading custom waveforms, it is not hard to recompile it with a new set of waves though, but it would be nice to be able to load them (possibly from assembly or C header file). Not really critical, just something which could be nice to have.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

nother thing is a support for loading custom waveforms, it is not hard to recompile it with a new set of waves though, but it would be nice to be able to load them (possibly from assembly or C header file). Not really critical, just something which could be nice to have.
+1 . Could be made my adding a third 'waves' element to the left pane and providing the kernel's ones by default and allow to add/remove/reorg and save/load. Supporting PCM channel samples would be the cream of the crop. :P
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

uze6666 wrote:Thanks for making this, we needed such a tool for a long time! Using emulation is the way to go. Btw, did you use the actual C code for the uzebox engine or recreated it from scratch?
Both actually, I looked at the documentation and kernel's C and assembly code and translated and simplified it to fit the studio.
I just generate wave files in RAM on the fly when the play button is pressed, so you have infinite channels here.
uze666 wrote:Do you have a feature request list? Right away, two things would be very useful to me: the ability to insert a new command at the selected line (instead of at the end) and also a 'piano' keyboard to be able to play the patch at different notes.
Yeah, the whole interface thing could use some polishing, I can probably get a quick solution for inserting the command, this thing in particular did bother me quite a bit when I was creating the patches for my UCC entry.
As for the piano, I noticed the need for that when creating the instruments, it would be nice if this piano worked with the keyboard so you can experiment by actually playing something. I'll try to hack that for 0.0.3 (0.0.2 is out on github, btw, it only adds patch defines which I needed last week).
Jubatian wrote: Another thing is a support for loading custom waveforms, it is not hard to recompile it with a new set of waves though, but it would be nice to be able to load them (possibly from assembly or C header file). Not really critical, just something which could be nice to have.
I was thinking of going the lazy way and just reading them from the file, as I guess that's what most people will have to make it work with their games anyway. This is definitely needed right now.
We could even dream a little bit and think of a wave editor, the lack of that is probably what's preventing most people from using unconventional wave forms right now, even though the 10 default ones are pretty decent already as most people are just getting rid of the unused ones.
uze6666 wrote: +1 . Could be made my adding a third 'waves' element to the left pane and providing the kernel's ones by default and allow to add/remove/reorg and save/load. Supporting PCM channel samples would be the cream of the crop. :P
The thing with the pcm samples is that you have to follow the includes (which are usually on the main .c file). So right now you can manage them with the struct editor, but if you want to play them, then you actually have to do that externally.
I'll leave this one for a future future version :lol: .
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I wonder how hard it would be to also implement the song player code. If one could edit patches in real time (and some day even waveforms) while the song was running, that would be revolutionary for making better music. I think beginners could quickly understand how it all comes together too.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

D3thAdd3r wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to also implement the song player code. If one could edit patches in real time (and some day even waveforms) while the song was running, that would be revolutionary for making better music. I think beginners could quickly understand how it all comes together too.
That would be totally awesome! But going there, it would seem better to invest time in doing a VST instrument plugin. Since you could use it in many music tool directly.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I forgot all about that discussion some time back. In light of that I have to agree that is the way to go, and better than muddying up the patch tool which is probably best to specialize in a single thing. I really want the feature bad, I will look at that VST stuff again some time in 2017(when my secret game quits taking all my free time!). I recall I didn't really understand what to do when I researched before.

Using patch studio for my next game, I again will risk sounding like a broken record here, but this is tool makes me irrationally happy every time I use it. Sooo much easier to get the right sound, much less tedious.