Bubble Bobble (W.I.P.)

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
danboid

Re: Bubble Bobble (W.I.P.)

Post by danboid »

This has to be one of the most promising arcade conversions for UB, if only it had some bubbles!

Have you not found time to work on this in the last year or so nicksen?

Do you plan on sharing the source?

I had BB on my C64 and I remember it seeming almost arcade perfect. It was a very good port. It'd be great to play it on UB too.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Yeah! This game. I have so much done with it. The enemy logic (and even the "hesitation" before jumping for some bad guys.)

The "actors" worked on a slots idea. Each index in the array of slots would be for a different enemy or player. Enemies do not have attack animations and some other things that the players have so that was wasted space. I probably could have improved that.

The music was originally streaming from SD then I figured out how to load into SPIRAM and then steam from there. Ramtiles were a huge cost and it truly limited what I could put on the screen. My best solution at the time was a sort or flickering where I would draw half and then the other half. It was inconsistant and looked good on the emulator but it was faded on the actual hardware.

I really should post the code up on Github and maybe even go back to the code and see if I could do better. Of course, the graphics are clearly copyrighted so I dunno how that'll work. Any ideas? I tried to copy the NES version as close as I can. And of course, I de-duplicated tiles and similar tiles wherever I could.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Uzebox is such a niche platform and Bubble Bobble is almost 40 years old (yikes) so I think it pretty unlikely Taito would be chasing you down but IANAL.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Hi Nick

I can play your BB port online OK but the .uze in the zip file ( http://www.nicksen782.net/UAM/APP_emu/e ... eload.json ) doesn't work for me under cuzebox or on my real Uzebox. The uze file only gets as far as the loading screen before the screen goes black then... nothing. I have copied BUBODATA.BIN onto my SD card.

Thanks!
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

It could be an old compile. I haven't worked on that game for a while but one day I intend to again. I never uploaded the sources anywhere but I should still have them. Probably in an old backup in the little box on my shelf. Lots of sd cards in there!

https://www.nicksen782.net/r_uzebubble.php should provide these files. Click the top link and then "Download as zip". Those should work. The .uze here works at least for the online emulator. I'm not 100% sure of which sd card library I was using at that point in development but I always made a point of putting games and their support files within their own directories so that only those files would show up in cuzebox.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Hi Nick

If you re-read my post you'll notice that I've already downloaded that zip you linked to and it doesn't work under cuzebox or on my actual Uzebox. Is the online version using a different build to the one in the zip file? I'd presume so.

It'd be great if you could find and share the source, ideally on github or gitlab.

Thanks!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Strange,

The ZIP works for me under cuzebox.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Yes that is strange. With both the version in the zip and the main .uze download link, I just get a blinking SD ERROR when I try it under (Debian Linux) cuzebox. I see a loading screen when I run it on my real Uzebox but it doesn't get as far the title screen, the screen just goes black.

Have you tried running it on your real Uzebox CF?
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

It works for me on real hardware.
danboid

Post by danboid »

OK, so maybe its my TV?

I've ordered a s-video to HDMI adapter so I'll let you know when that arrives if I can get bubble bobble to work using that instead.