New Game: Bugz

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
xiaolong

Re: New Game: Bugz

Post by xiaolong »

But since the wasp doesn't reappear, it has to be done right or the level is lost.
There is actually way out of this:
"In either of the two player modes, both players must agree to restart the current level by pressing and holding START at the same time"

BTW, what a great game! My son has wanted to play it daily for some weeks now : ) First in cooperative multiplayer and now that he is more skilled then P1 VS P2 mode. Maybe it's all that playing that let me finally finish the game in 1 player mode today :lol:
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Jubatian wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 pm I brought the box to friends again, and gave it them. Cooperative multiplayer, some rather open jump-and-run, trying to get the levels completed together. They are better at it than me, and got through several levels until I think we found a bug. Its a black background level with grey tiles where the most common element is wasps buzzing around fire tiles. On the upper left and right corners there are two cookies, each apparently can only be reached by a killing jump onto a wasp. But since the wasp doesn't reappear, it has to be done right or the level is lost. However in cooperative multiplayer the level never restarts, only the player positions reset. So they got stuck there. Anyway, it was fun until then! :)
Awesome, I'm glad they had fun. In single player mode, pressing START resets the level, in two player mode, both players have to be pressing START at the same time (so it is more of a vote to restart, rather than an immature player 1 always restarting the level when he or she is losing).
Jubatian wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 pmAlso we gave a go to the simpler Laser Puzzle, their thirteen years old daughter played a couple of levels of it until we had to go, that's sure a nice game! Maybe the tiles could snap in place a bit easier, she had some difficulty dragging and dropping them where she wanted to (when dropped, maybe falling onto the nearest slot could be more intuitive than ignoring the move if the release location doesn't align too well).
Sweet! Hmm, that might be a good idea for an update!
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

A while back there was a Tool Assisted Speedrun contest that used the two player version of Bugz: https://tasvideos.org/Forum/Topics/22070

That thread is a great read, and I'm honored that they used my game for speed running.

In the end, they took the fastest segments from each of the teams and composed them into one giant super-speed run:

It looks like they have some pretty awesome tools for monitoring sub-pixels in memory, and an emulator that allows visualizing all the different jumps and paths. I wonder how much of that could be helpful for us to debug with?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I like the fact that it looks like Bizhawk can add watches to memory locations. Or at least that is what I an guessing from this file called bugz.wch

Code: Select all

SystemID UZE
0F85	w	u	0	SRAM	P1 X Pos
0F87	w	u	0	SRAM	P1 Y Pos
0F89	w	s	0	SRAM	P1 X Vel
0F8B	w	s	0	SRAM	P1 Y Vel
0	S	_	1		
0FA4	w	u	0	SRAM	P2 X Pos
0FA6	w	u	0	SRAM	P2 Y Pos
0FA8	w	s	0	SRAM	P2 X Vel
0FAA	w	s	0	SRAM	P2 Y Vel
0	S	_	1		
0FEE	b	u	0	SRAM	Level
0FDA	b	u	0	SRAM	Cookies Remaining
0FEA	b	u	0	SRAM	Fade Timer
I'd love to see that added to cuzebox or uzem

There was a few visualization tools I'd like to see as well, but a memory watch would be awesome.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Agreed, this speedrun is pretty nifty. Specially for the fact that I realized there was all those levels I never saw because I sucked so much at the game. :lol:
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:44 am Agreed, this speedrun is pretty nifty. Specially for the fact that I realized there was all those levels I never saw because I sucked so much at the game. :lol:
Aww, I didn't realize you had not seen them all! If you hold down SELECT and press SL or SR, you can skip through the levels to see and play them all without having to beat the previous ones.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Artcfox wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:00 am Aww, I didn't realize you had not seen them all! If you hold down SELECT and press SL or SR, you can skip through the levels to see and play them all without having to beat the previous ones.
A clear case of RTFM! :oops: