New Game: Arkanoid!

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
uze6666
Site Admin

New Game: Arkanoid!

Post by uze6666 »

I've been working quietly on this for some time...one of my favorite retro game of all times. It's not entirely finished, but I could not resist posting something, specially since it's done with the new sprites engine :D. Though I tried to keep it as close as possible to the arcade version, I "borrowed" some graphics from Arkanoid 2 (like the field borders) -- just looks better! I've done only the first 7 levels and some intro animations missing. Thought I need to optimize stuff since, so far, the game takes almost all the 64k. Seems to not work with the Fuzebox. My guess is its due to the bootloader enabled (for those using the FTDI cable+custom bootloader). Those who have an ISP programmer can disable the "boot reset vector" fuse on the 644.

A gamepad is not the ideal to play this game, but mouse support is coming. In the mean time, you can use the B button to have the Vaus go faster.

Oh, and it plays perfectly on the emulator too. :D

Happy holidays!

Uze
arkanoid v1.png
arkanoid v1.png (62.81 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Arkanoid.hex
(177.4 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
DavidEtherton

Re: New Game: Arkanoid!

Post by DavidEtherton »

Awesome work as usual, Alec! Great fun!

-Dave
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

Hehehe... Very cool! Did you pull the level data from the arcade game ROMs or just recreate it by hand? (We did a bunch of Taito games for a couple home/arcade things, so I might have level data pre-extracted if you needed anything.) Any chance it's compatible with any of the arcade Arkanoid level editors? ;-)

-Clay
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

@Dave: Thanks! Your emulator was used extensively during development, particularly when you added the sound. Just can't beat the flashing time of ISP! :D

@Clay: Thanks too! I scouted the net for level details and was lucky to find that site. So it's pretty easy (though tedious) to just recreate the levels by hand. The toughest thing remains the gameplay and rebound stuff. Quite tough to replicate without the original algorithms.
Any chance it's compatible with any of the arcade Arkanoid level editors? ;-)
So now you tell me there was Arkanoid level editors!?! :shock: .... :lol: !

I should be ok, only need to find some way to pack the remaining levels and battle against Doh into 2K!

Uze
DavidEtherton

Post by DavidEtherton »

Anybody willing to source SNES mice for resale? A quick hunt on ebay didn't turn up much.

My 16x16 tile mode would be good for doing a civ-type game, and a mouse would be cool for that as well.

(Alec, smooth scrolling was harder than I expected because of the heavily unrolled loops -- I've got the left edge right but need to abort early on the last tile without throwing off the line timing)

-Dave
DavidEtherton

Post by DavidEtherton »

The game crashes the emulator after level seven?

-Dave
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

(Alec, smooth scrolling was harder than I expected because of the heavily unrolled loops -- I've got the left edge right but need to abort early on the last tile without throwing off the line timing)
Yeah I know, horizontal scrolling and unrolled loops don't seems to go well togheter. I got the same problem with mode 2 engine. I ended up doing 6 unrolled loops, one for each pixel offset!
The game crashes the emulator after level seven?
Hehe, well, it crashe the game. I have no more than 7 levels, after that It reads garbage. Interestingly it also crashes your emulator! :lol:

Uze
havok1919

Post by havok1919 »

uze6666 wrote:So now you tell me there was Arkanoid level editors!?! :shock: .... :lol: !
:oops: Uhhh, forget I said anything. ;-)

I'll send it to you anyway-- kinda useful since it shows all the special block locations and whatnot...

-Clay
codecrank

Post by codecrank »

wow, still having flashbacks of playing this as a kid at a restaurant. was great. still is. And now it lives on uzebox !

excellent work !
Rafiki

Post by Rafiki »

New to this, just successfully built a Fuzebox. A couple of questions: Isn't 177KB too big to put on this platform? Is there a source file or a MakeFile that will make uploading it easier for us one-trick ponies? I suppose I should go back to step one on LadyAda's tutorial.