Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Jubatian

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by Jubatian »

Artcfox wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:21 pm I actually think that you ended up doing it with just 2 colors + transparent black. I'm pretty sure you can add 1 more color to each line for a dithering effect, but CunningFellow would know for sure.
Thanks :) There are quite more than those three which use 3 colours, for example notably the bottom line of the middle of the "2", which has a blue, a grey and a dark purple. I rather went for no dither to keep it having a cleaner look, rather adding as many colours to the ramp as I reasonably could. If there was dithering (tried it first attempting to copy Alec's design, didn't quite seem to work out well with the limitation), that would have to be used with consistency, intefering with the cases where I needed 3 colours for the best effect.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Jubatian wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:34 pm There are quite more than those three which use 3 colours, for example notably the bottom line of the middle of the "2", which has a blue, a grey and a dark purple.
Ah! I see that now! The histogram tool in GIMP isn't the easiest to read, so I wrote myself a C program to calculate unique pixels per line.

Here is my attempt using the gradient tool in GIMP:
2000.png
2000.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 10678 times
I used a symmetrical bi-linear gradient for the interior, and then a linear gradient for the edge pixels, and then a bit of hand-tweaking with the pencil tool.

It should meet the constraints (transparent black is included in the colors it counts):

Code: Select all

mpan@acer:~/src/check-constraints$ ./main artcfox-2000.png 
Opening: "artcfox-2000.png"
Row: 0, Unique Pixels: 2
Row: 1, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 2, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 3, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 4, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 5, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 6, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 7, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 8, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 9, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 10, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 11, Unique Pixels: 2
Row: 12, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 13, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 14, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 15, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 16, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 17, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 18, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 19, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 20, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 21, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 22, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 23, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 24, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 25, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 26, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 27, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 28, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 29, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 30, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 31, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 32, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 33, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 34, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 35, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 36, Unique Pixels: 3
Row: 37, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 38, Unique Pixels: 4
Row: 39, Unique Pixels: 2
Edit: I think I actually prefer Jubatian's, but I figured more options can't hurt.
Last edited by Artcfox on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

In case anyone wants to run my constraint checker, I am maintaining the latest source code here: https://github.com/artcfox/check-constraints

But since links sometimes get broken, I am also attaching it to this post.
Attachments
check-constraints.zip
Cleaned up the source code a lot. This is now a shining example of a Makefile with proper dependency tracking, an easy to use decode_png() function, and a bug-fixed red-black tree implementation in C.
(64.86 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Thanks, they both look great.

I'll have to pop them both into the SD file and see how they look on hardware.

I am going to have to write some desktop code to help doing that, as editing the bitmaps in a spreadsheet is getting a bit tedious.
Uzer2000

Post by Uzer2000 »

How do I run the latest version of t2k.uze in CUzeBox?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Uzer2000 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:58 pm How do I run the latest version of t2k.uze in CUzeBox?
What error/problem are you having?

Is it telling you that it can not find the level file even though it it there? I believe the emulator might have some file limits that it only processes/emulates the first so many files to the virtual SD card from your PCs directory.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Hi CunningFellow

You may have missed this post:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11111

What can you tell us about the Uzebox kernels MOD support? Can it play mod files of any size? Can it handle more than 4 channels? Can it play your average (Octa)Med MOD file or must samples of a specific samplerate be used?

Thanks
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

@danboid. Sorry Audio is not my forte. I did do some work on an inline mixer that could make more channels and I may finish that some day.

However the playing back of music/MOD files I have not dabbled in at all. Lee/D3thAdd3r and Alec/Uze did all the Audio stuff in T2K for me. I was concentrating on the graphics.
Uzer2000

Post by Uzer2000 »

I have t2k.uze and utempest.lvl in the same directory as the emulator.
Also, two other games.

When I drag and drop t2k.uze on cuzebox.exe it starts, but says,"
NO BOOTLOADER".
CunningFellow wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 pm
Uzer2000 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:58 pm How do I run the latest version of t2k.uze in CUzeBox?
What error/problem are you having?

Is it telling you that it can not find the level file even though it it there? I believe the emulator might have some file limits that it only processes/emulates the first so many files to the virtual SD card from your PCs directory.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Uzer2000 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:11 pmWhen I drag and drop t2k.uze on cuzebox.exe it starts, but says,"
NO BOOTLOADER".
:shock: CunningFellow, you did the SDHC compatible version in a manner that it actually REQUIRES the 5.x.xx Bootloader to be present? Of course the emulator doesn't put the bootloader in the ROM, but the bootloader library is designed in such a way that it is compatible with that (if 5.x.xx Bootloader is present, providing SDHC support using the Bootloader, if not, then only SDSC is available, within the library, so never thought about such a situation in the emulator where the lack of bootloader would be a problem. It emulates an SDSC).