NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v2.0

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.

Hot or not?

Yuck!
20%
Blarg!
40%
Hgnnn!
20%
Choke!
20%

Total votes: 5

Jubatian

Re: WIP announcement: Würgertime

Post by Jubatian »

Looks good, the graphics mode behind is sure interesting. How the game should work by the way? I mean I got the burgers on the bottom, but then nothing happened, I couldn't figure out what to do to finish the level (is that even implemented?). The audio is nice, the in-game tune maybe is a bit short, but sure works well with the game :) I think the intro is OK, for me it feels sort of right for the game, but I feel the ingame music fitting better for the content (what it it? I can't recall right now, it's from classical music).
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Yes basically I am just doing content generation, and code for level complete/etc will be done by Janka. Basically I will just make some more levels, so that the game only needs code to finish, and hopefully that ends up a bit of inspiration.

The title is called "Burger Dance", which is a remake of the pop song "Fast Food Song", which is based on some song British kids sing on the playground..I guess? Intro is beginning notes of Beethoven "Symphony No 5 in C minor, Op 67". Main theme is Mozart "Rondo Ala Turcaa". Game over is modified pieces from Mozart "Moonlight Sonata".

When all the code is in place and free space is totally known(several K left at this point), I would definitely look at expanding the length of the main theme up to whatever free space is available. It is actually just small pieces of the original, chopped and spliced together; but would be easy to integrate a few more bars here and there.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Thanks, I like classical music :) Listening to the original it feels like the game captures well Mozart's Rondo alla Turca, and fits well with the game itself, quite enjoyable. I know it is a port, but I didn't see it before. Does it clone or trace an existing port's graphics? I tried to look it up, but didn't find anything alike by a quick search, it seems nicer than the variants I found.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Very appropriate choice for the music Lee! The main theme...something lighthearted that goes well with those walking hoagies...I can't say exactly but it suits the game very well! :D The intro also fits the tab pretty well. Perhaps for the death sequence I'd use some more classic short jingle, but that's just me. I really like moon light sonata thoughi'd keep it for another game...perhaps a port of Thexder? ;)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I think for now I will leave everything alone until the code catches up. At that point I can make sure what flash space even ends up usable.

I watched a video of Thexder because I never heard of it, hearing MLS at the credits. Pretty cool game, but I think those laser beams would be murder on ram tiles!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Jubatian wrote: I tried to look it up, but didn't find anything alike by a quick search, it seems nicer than the variants I found.
I also find the graphics better than other ports. I believe all of them were made from scratch by Janka, which adds a lot of appeal.
Janka

Re: NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v1.0

Post by Janka »

Finally! I've found the time to complete Würgertime into a full, playable game. It has still a lot of bugs, please test it.

Sources at https://github.com/ianka/wuergertime

I will continue to add documentation at http://ianka.github.io/wuergertime/

Features:
  • 99 Levels
  • Level editor in tools/leveleditor.tcl (hopefully cross-platform enough, tested on Linux)
  • Many different burger schemes
  • Up to four opponents with different aIgorithms (Egghead, Sausageman, Mr. Mustard, Anticook)
  • Lots of other level options
  • Pepper throwing
  • Bonus stage after each level
  • Prepare screen before each level
  • Highscore with 5 Entries of 5 chars
  • A bit of sound.
Attachments
Wuergertime.uze
Würgertime v1.0
(56.47 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Congrats Janka :)

I've played through till level 3. It's quite challenging! I've never played Burger Time before, but the game play is definitely interesting and something different for me. Graphics, sound and animation are top notch to my eyes. And it definitely leaves me craving cheese burger after a few minutes of play!

I couldn't find any obvious bugs, but will play a bit more when I can find the time and I will share here anything I find.
Janka

Post by Janka »

We did a test with a Würgertime arcade on an anime convention last week. I found people first don't understand the controls doesn't require them to move pixel-perfect.

Instead, if you are on a platform, select a direction and then move up or down and the cook will run in the selected direction until it reaches the next ladder up (or down) and will use that automatically. Same with right and left when you are on a ladder. As soon people realized this, they stopped to complain.
Janka

Post by Janka »

Uh, and yeah, v1.2 is available.
Find the documentation at http://ianka.github.io/wuergertime/