NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v2.0

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.

Hot or not?

Yuck!
20%
Blarg!
40%
Hgnnn!
20%
Choke!
20%

Total votes: 5

Janka

NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v2.0

Post by Janka »

v2.0 is available here:

http://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 731#p30731
-------------------------

Hi there,

today I finished a first playable demonstration of my upcoming game "Würgertime" (pronouce same as you think a German would pronouce "Whirrgertime" - "Würg" is German for "Yuck!"). It's an hommage to the famous "Burger Time" from Data East. There are dozens of clones out there, so why don't add another? I plan to put the following things into the game:

* A great number of different levels. Possible by painting them by screen lists instead of maps and "indirect" level composition from those screenlists.
* Random level selection by difficulty choice, levels are named. Bonus levels.
* Animated intermissions between levels
* Different burgers (Simple, Salad, Tomato, TS).
* Stomping burger components once, twice or three times (three times is implemented but buggy for now, the other ones work)
* Possible to get another burger if bonus is still high, player can choose by collecting a spatula icon.
* Hurry mode once bonus time is at 20%, makes both cook and opponents run faster.
* Three different opponents: Sausageman: prefers ladders and tries to hunt the player; Egghead: runs around where burger components are; Mr. Mustard: spills mustard on ladders make the cook slipping through to ladder bottom if he goes down on such a ladder.
* Up to four opponents at the same time.
* Bonus items like soda and fries and a crown.
* some more silly things.

Visual artwork is nearly complete, sounds and music are still needed. Oh, and levels, of course.

Beware the demo is somewhat buggy, once you stomp the tiles on the lowest floor the game gets messed up, I have to investigate why. I plan to release the sources the next days, maybe someone likes to volunteer? The sources are heavily commented and I think very clearly written.

EDIT: found the bug. Please see the updated demo.
Attachments
Wuergertime-demo-20121005.hex.gz
(32.15 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
Last edited by Janka on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
D3thAdd3r

Re: WIP announcement: Würgertime

Post by D3thAdd3r »

A classic game looking good on uzebox! Great work Janka, exciting to see this progress. One thing, try doubling the time length of each frame in your walking animation and it should look better in uzem. Keep us posted :)
Janka

Post by Janka »

D3thAdd3r wrote:A classic game looking good on uzebox! Great work Janka, exciting to see this progress.
Thanks for praising the artwork. That was what I was not sure of. Please see the updated version without the previous bug.
One thing, try doubling the time length of each frame in your walking animation and it should look better in uzem. Keep us posted :)
Easy. Only the walking animation or the ladder, too?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Easy. Only the walking animation or the ladder, too?
Uzem only displays every other frame(so 30/sec) or something like that. Basically if you switch a frame back and forth every game tick, you are only going to see one of them. So any animation where a frame length is one change.

Nice, seems like the hardest part is already done :) If you are tight on space, compressed sprites @ 2 bits per pixel would save lots of space. Let me know if you are looking for music/sfx help.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything...
D3thAdd3r wrote: Uzem only displays every other frame(so 30/sec) or something like that. Basically if you switch a frame back and forth every game tick, you are only going to see one of them. So any animation where a frame length is one change.
In avr8.cpp for uzem, take this line:
if (frameCounter & 1)
SDL_Flip(screen);
And comment the 'if' statement leaving:
SDL_Flip(screen);
This will give full 60/sec. Might run a heavier load on CPU or other things because it's rendering at twice the speed, not entirely sure.

BTW, nice WIP!!!!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Great work so far! Well worth helping you out ironing out all those setups issues. :mrgreen: Very promising, the graphics are awesome and unique. I hope you'll have enough space for the enemies and music. Speaking of which, if you need help converting some music I can help too (super burger time music was great btw ;) ).
paul

Post by paul »

Cool, that's going to be a lot of fun with opponents in there. Really nice work on the artwork, too!
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

That looks very good. Can't wait to see the finished game. :D
greenpower

Post by greenpower »

Really cool 8-) . Keep it up! and, BTW, add ome kind of feature so you can jump off from the ladders. It's a pain in the butt! :lol:
Also, nice tileset. Fits really well with the game.
I know i'm too young, but it doesn't matters. Maybe i'm a newbie, but i can learn very fastly
Janka

Post by Janka »

greenpower wrote:Add ome kind of feature so you can jump off from the ladders. It's a pain in the butt!
There have been some bugs in the movement of the cook. I think I found them all but I will prepare a new release not until next week.
Have to do other work in the meantime.