IKD - Atari Combat remake

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
danboid

Re: IKD - Atari Combat remake

Post by danboid »

I made a small but notable bit of progress with IKD tonight as I got the directional shooting to work which I thought would be one of the 'hardest' (for a C newb like me) bits to implement because there was a little bit of maths involved. I should be able to use the same trick to move the tanks too, I hope.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I've not really given any thought as to how I will draw the mazes yet. Presumably I'll be doing this with tiles instead of sprites as it won't be moving and I doubt I have enough sprites to draw the mazes anyway.

Any good open source examples of doing something similar come to mind?

EDIT

You can move the tank around the screen now but its still only one player.

d3thadd3rs Sokoban looks like a decent example of how I could map the playfields.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Today I modified the player 1 tank to match the colour of the tank in the original as best I could and I added a shooting sound. Won't be long until its playable now.

How accurate is the cuzebox sound emulation? I don't have a physical UB yet so it'd be great if someone could record what the shooting sound sounds like on actual hardware.
danboid

Post by danboid »

The first Combat tank game doesn't have any walls so I'm working toward recreating that first but I also want to include the games with walls.

The wiki mentions an app called Tiled which may make things a bit easier for me but I've not seen any guides to using Tiled for the UB on the wiki. Does it have UB support baked-in or will it need to be configured for the UB? It may be more effort to set up and use than doing everything without.

EDIT

Due to the simple and static nature of the Combat mazes its probably easier to create them by hand in a text editor rather than having to learn a level designer.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Probably way easier to do it manually in this case. I always end up doing these things by hand, press save, up arrow, and rapidly compile to view the results. Bigger things might be worth taking on a level editor.

CUzeBox sound should essentially be indistinguishable from hardware I think, though I never thought to compare. The PWM is modeled cycle perfect, and the only analog element along the signal path from the PWM output is a single resistor.
danboid

Post by danboid »

After a period of development that is starting to worry the Duke Nukem Forever devs, I think it's fair to say that IKD has entered an alpha stage of development as its kinda playable now. There are 2 controllable tanks, you can shoot each other and score points. Now I need to add the death animations, walls/mazes, bouncy bullets and a menu screen. Once all that is done I can look into adding the Combat 2 stuff.

I've borrowed the score drawing code from the pong port but its not quite working properly yet because the score colours are all garbled. Could someone please explain what I'm not doing or doing wrong there please?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Keep up with the good progress. Keen to see the finish product.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks CunningFellow!

I have fixed my score display issue.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Agree with Cunning. It cheers me up to see active Uzebox development on the forums again, keep at it!
danboid

Post by danboid »

I've added a maze (without any collision detection yet) using DrawMap2() but I'm having redraw issues.

I used to same function to draw the scores and the tanks can freely drive over the scores with no redraw issues but when I move the players over the maze, most of the time the transparent pixels 'fail' and the player sprites are drawn with a black box surrounding them but sometimes they are drawn correctly. What could be causing this?