IKD - Atari Combat remake

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
danboid

IKD - Atari Combat remake

Post by danboid »

UPDATED 1st March 2024

IKD v1.1 released which fixes IKD's music playback on real Uzeboxes. See the next post for v1.1 download links.

UPDATED 1st August 2023

After slightly over three years on and off messing, IKD v1.0 has finally been released!

IKD is a remake of the tank game from Combat on the Atari 2600, or the Atari Tank arcade game that predated Combat. It is my first C program, I learned C as I put this game together by looking at the source of other Uzebox games. This proves that even people who only vaguely know the basics of C can still make a fun game using the easy to learn Uzebox API.

Note that these builds are patched to enable the use of slow controllers but the music doesn't play correctly on real Uzeboxes.

If you are running IKD on a real Uzebox and you don't need slow controller support then you should download IKD v1.1 from the next post which has fixed music playback support.

IKD.uze
(50.29 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
IKD.hex
(140.06 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

New features added since IKD test7:

* D3thAdd3r's Uzebox rendition of the C64 Commando theme has been added to an improved title screen
* The pitch of the bullet bounce noise increases on every bounce
* A new maze has been added

Lee really pulled out all the stops for this C64 Commando theme cover. I'm 100% biased of course but I think this is the best example of a Uzebox chiptune I've heard yet so massive thanks for greatly enhancing IKD's polish and presentation with this very notable track Lee!

http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title=IKD

My original first post in this thread follows:

IKD isn't a game yet. I've just made the first commit and currently it is just one sprite you can move about the screen but not even in the combat tank way so its got a long way to go. I want to publicly document my progress on here from the very beginning as someone who is new to C and game programming in general. I have created one basic game previously, a space invaders clone using Godot, but this is my first ever C project so I'm also learning C here as well as coding for the Uzebox.

https://github.com/danboid/IKD

My first question is, why do I get this funny pattern in the background? I have tried setting tile 0 to both all black (0x0) and all transparent (0xFE) with the same result.
Screenshot from 2020-10-09 17-53-05.png
Screenshot from 2020-10-09 17-53-05.png (13.28 KiB) Viewed 16803 times
Last edited by danboid on Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:05 am, edited 28 times in total.
danboid

Re: IKD - Atari Combat remake

Post by danboid »

EDIT 27th Feb 2024

The IKD title screen music doesn't play correctly on real hardware with the v1.0 build of IKD in the first post and I was unable to get Thorsten's slow controller patch to work with the fixed sound engine.

The forum doesn't let me attach more than three files to a post so I decided to post the files for IKD v1.1 separately here and leave v1.0 posted in the first post until I can create a build that has both working music and slow controller support.

IKD v1.1

IKD.uze
(50.27 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

IKD.hex
(140 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

The original post here read:

I have fixed that weird background now. It was because I had not defined SetTileTable().
Last edited by danboid on Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I don't foresee me having to fight off contributors but I genuinely don't want anyone to make any pull requests or do anything else for me although your feedback and recommendations will be much appreciated as I progress and inevitably get stuck.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

It would be interesting to implement some of the things found in the Combat 2 prototype; the bridges and other environmental things. I'm thinking some fixed point math and circle/circle collision detection would get you so pretty far. Be sure to ask any physics or design questions, because it's likely someone has done them before(and countless examples on the net too).
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Unless you were dead set on a faithful remake to the original. I just remembered they have the Combat disassembly pretty well documented, which might at least be worth a read for how they did things in general.
danboid

Post by danboid »

My aim is not a 100% faithful port so I'm not really interested in seeing the disassembly. My initial aim is to learn enough to make a passable replica. If I can get the original game done then I'll probably add in elements from the sequel too, yes.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Keen to see combat. Was one of the few carts I had on my 2600 when I was very young.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Did a little more today. The sprite now 'rotates' when you push left/right so that's the easy tank drawing bits done, now I need to think how do I make it move in the direction that the tank is facing?

If anyone knows of some similar code for this bit in an existing open source UB game, let me know. I bet similar existing code is out there but I've not started looking yet. I'd imagine that once I've done this bit the rest will be pretty easy and it'll be similar code for shooting as moving the tanks I'd imagine, if I can't use the same routine.

Please don't write any code for me! I know most of you would easily knock this out in a few hours. Please be patient with me!
danboid

Post by danboid »

It's to late for me to look at it tonight but I might find something useful in the source for Uzebox racer?

http://uzebox.org/wiki/Joyrider

Code: Select all

$ git clone https://bitbucket.org/jhhoward/uzeboxracer.git
That's a much more complex game than anything I could consider attempting yet so it may be bit a bit too advanced for me to follow yet without extensive comments.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

you could maybe look at the source for asteroids (vector game) or space wars on the uzebox to get a feel for the polar co-ord stuff. Though the video mode stuff won't be much use to you. Or even have a look at the source for chickens in choppers to see actual tanks.