Uzebox Tactics (WIP)

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Kilo

Uzebox Tactics (WIP)

Post by Kilo »

Hey guys,
yesterday I tested the game again and I think it's worth to bring it up to the wiki as it is.
But, I Keep on going and I will bring the game to an end.
That means, I will add some Music, intro, etc.

Gameplay:
Turn based 2 Player game where the Player fights with different unit types (Tanks, Infantry, etc.) Every unit is unique in ist attack, defend and movement.
There are different Terrain Areas like gras, City, forest, mountain where the movement depends on.
Also there are neutral bases and buildings which can be conquered in order to get credits and new healthpoints.
The game is a mix of C&C, Tom Clancy's Endwar and Hasbro's Risk!

ToDo:
- Better graphic!!
- Sounds and Music
- 1 Player against CPU
- Map Editor
- More Levels
- much better graphics!!!!
- etc.

The game has potential... As you can see in the code, the Level is drawn of following map:

PL=plains
FO=Forest
MO=Mountain
BS|PL1=Base of Player 1 (RED)
and so on..

Code: Select all

const char testlevel[] PROGMEM =
{
	16, 11,
	PL, FO, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL, MO, MO, PL, MO, PL, PL, MO,
	PL, PL, MO, MO, MO, MO, BS, PL, PL, CT, MO, FO, PL, PL|UN1|PL2, BS|PL2, PL,
	PL, BS|PL1, PL, MO, PL, PL, FO, FO, PL, FO, FO, PL, PL, MO, MO, PL,
	PL|UN3|PL2, FO|UN1|PL1, PL|UN5|PL2, MO, PL, PL, PL, FO, PL, PL, FO, PL, FO, PL, PL, PL,
	PL, PL|UN2|PL2, MO, MO, PL, MO, MO, FO, PL, PL, PL, FO, PL, FO, PL, PL,
	PL, FO, PL|UN4|PL1, MO, PL, MO, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL, PL,
	PL, PL, PL, PL, MO, PL, PL, PL, CT, MO, MO, PL, PL, FO, PL, PL,
	PL, FO, PL, PL, PL|UN2|PL2, PL|UN4|PL1, PL, FO, FO, PL, MO, FO, FO, FO, PL|UN4|PL2, PL|UN2|PL2,
	PL, PL, CT, PL, PL, FO, FO, PL, PL, PL, MO, FO, PL, PL, PL, PL,
	FO, FO|UN2|PL1, FO, PL, PL, PL, FO, FO, PL, MO, PL, PL, FO, CT|UN1|PL2, PL, PL|UN3|PL1,
	PL, MO, MO, FO|UN1|PL2, MO, PL, PL, PL, FO, BS, PL, MO, MO, MO, MO, PL
};
We could make a great map Editor and more Levels!!

Some part of the code is too hard for me to understand, but I will try to make it a playable game with great graphics!!
If someone would be able to invest some time, I would be very happy if we can make a 1 Player game against the CPU. So we Need some AI.

Here is the original link to the sources:
https://github.com/Bevinsky/uzebox-tactics

EDIT:
I figured out that the graphics and the gameplay almost based on Advance Wars for the Gameboy Advance.
Attachments
UzeboxTactics.uze
(46.04 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
nicksen782

Re: Uzebox Tactics (WIP)

Post by nicksen782 »

Is that code for a tilemap? It appears to be but I see it full of named constants. What struck me as interesting was the use of "|" for some of the bytes. How would that work? I looked at the testleve.tmx file. What program created that map?

I would be happy to help you with a map editor. I would write a web app in this case. I need a map editor anyway for a game I'm working on so maybe we would help each other a bit.

The project hasn't been updated since Jul 12, 2014. The name "bevinsky" does not show up on the Uzebox forums other than here. I am curious. https://github.com/Hylian he actually had an account on Uzebox, "HylianSavior". You may want to read his posts. There weren't many. Two contributors to the code.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I talked to the developer yesterday. He said that we can use his code and we would feel free to bring it to an end.

The map is a tilemap converted from a simple .png file. The .tmx file isn't used in the game. The level map is created by the part of code I posted! It is a simple lookup table of an array. The same way like I made a RPG game years ago in visual basic.
So for an editor we need an external file, where the map is saved and load, right?

Here you can see my first draft of the graphics!
I decided to change the upper info bar to blue. Also the unit icons will changed (like in battle island). For now, unit 1, the infantry is a soldier. Unit 2, a tank, is a tank :)
The forest now looks like a forest. Also the mountain!
I decided against the graphics of Advance Wars of the GameBoy because they're looking like jap. comic style icons.
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Damn... the more unique tiles I created, the tilemap file is going bigger and bigger.
It's almost impossible to create good looking graphics with different colored pixels.
And the bigger is tilemap file is, the more bugs I get.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

What kind of bugs are you finding?

Will this still be mode 1? I think there is a mode 1 variant that uses 8-bit indexes with 6x8 tiles, Mode 5 (http://uzebox.org/wiki/Video_Modes. So, if your VRAM is now 1000 bytes it would become 500. Of course, your tileset would be limited to 255 tiles per tileset (minus any ram tiles if you use them.) Also, the tiles would still be 48 bytes a piece. If you can swap tilesets around then maybe that would help.

There are many new modes from Jubation too. You might want to sneak a peek at those too.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

No it seems to be Mode 3.
8x8 tiles.

For example: when I cange the plain and convert it, gconvert tells me there are more unique tiles found than before and the size grows up.
After that I get bugs like weird patterns on the screen.
The file is bigher because I changed the unit graphics with more colored pixels instead of the original numbers only.
Also the plain tiles. They contain of 2 different colors. If I only use 1 color for the plains the game can't decide now where each tile starts and ends so on the screen I get weird patterns.

So it is not possible to make good detailed unit sprites.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I ulpoaded a first draft on my first post!

Let's have a look and enjoy!
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Added a wiki entry!

Please give me some feedback!
The actual version is on wiki!
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Wiki link: http://uzebox.org/wiki/Uzebox_Tactics
Play online: https://nicksen782.net/UAM/APP_emu/emu.php?gameid=273

@Kilo: I edited your link on the wiki page to point to Uzebox Tactics.

You may want to put the wiki link above on your first post.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Thank you! 😊👍
Tell me what you think about it.

Btw: I am not able to play games online with my smartphone. I can press the buttons on the gamepad but nothing happens.