Toorum's Quest

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Kilo

Toorum's Quest

Post by Kilo »

I just wanted to start a new thread about this game!

I know that many people worked on this and without making other games bad but THIS game would be worth to get on a single SD Card as an Independent game.

What does this game make it so great?

- gameplay
- many Levels
- Level Editor

We Need more of These games! Games which stores things on the SD for example to get more complex!
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
rfisher

Re: Toorum's Quest

Post by rfisher »

What bootloader is needed for this game to work? I can start the game, but it doesn't see the other files on the sd card.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Although it can read it's own files I don't think it can actually write to them.

What files are you looking for?
rfisher

Post by rfisher »

I put _HISCORE.DAT, TOORUMSQ.DAT, and TOORUMSQ.UZE on the sd card and when I start the game I get a message about hi score can't be saved, then a sd error that TOORUMSQ.DAT is not available. The game doesn't start and it goes back to the menu.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Is your SD card formatted as FAT16?
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

If you use the V.5.0.10 bootloader, also keep in mind that it can use both SDSC and SDHC cards, while most SD card using games work only with SDSC. I think Toorum's Quest isn't anything different in this regard either (so the bootloader can start it, but then the game won't be able to find its files on that card if it is so).
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I forget if it was PetitFS or sdSimple. Either way it for sure will only work with SDSC cards. As for file writing, unless I released a broken version or something, I am quite positive it works as I had built, saved, and played a new quest on actual hardware at some point as well as high scores worked.
rfisher

Post by rfisher »

That worked, a sd card that is not a sdhc formatted fat.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Credits again to Petri Hakkinen, where this is ported from his "The Box" console. Sadly I never got around to converting the original music engine so I could have the original(better) track. It would require vsync mixer, where that RAM was already spent on tricks(which could be removed) and for the editor(which was too much work to remove!).

This game suffered some bit rot, and I was relying on compiler behavior that changed. I pulled some graphical hacks so it doesn't rely on the #include resources being in exact order without spacing(like the compiler used to do). Basically I inlined tile data, and made some tweaks. The game is a bit tight on RAM(mostly for the SD->ram_tiles[] tricks, and maybe the editor), but it doesn't seem to crash. I would like to add the kernel compile flags that have been discussed to disable unused sound features, just to have a bit extra safety buffer.
toorums-quest.png
toorums-quest.png (41.7 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Tons of flash left, but I did compressed music anyway. Working code is up at https://github.com/weber21w/uzebox-toorums-quest
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I reckon, your port is amazing the way it is, I would not change anything. I've added your source link to your wiki entry.