The quest to a portable Uzebox - update!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Artcfox

Re: The quest to a portable Uzebox - update!

Post by Artcfox »

Looks freaking awesome! Definitely sign me up for one.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hey guys,

I've uploaded all the design files: http://belogic.com/uzebox/downloads.htm. :) All that is remaining is the assembly guide.

Enjoy!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Btw, one thing that was really bugging me all that time was how to brand the thing being the Uzebox? After my goal of making the thing as small as possible, there is not so much space left for the logo(s). What you guys think? A big fat logo on the back, a small one in the front...or else?
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

A small one on the front would be enough.
Look at the Gameboy or the Sony PSP.
They have only small letters of the brand name. Not more.
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I love how small it is, so it seems like a nice problem to have that there is no excess space screaming for a logo :)

Maybe the 'U' logo from the standard Uzebox cases could be glued on the backside, with a socket for it printed in the case?
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I like the idea of a big logo on the back. That way other people can see it while you're playing it, and they would be more likely to ask you: "Hey, what is that?"
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

uzebox_portable_print.jpg
uzebox_portable_print.jpg (292.84 KiB) Viewed 13842 times
Well, the frosting's done. Now I just need the cake :D

So I printed that on my CE3 with 0.1mm extrusion using white PLA for the top shell and black PLA for the bottom shell. Both halves of the casing were printed face down on a glass bed (For anyone else that has an Ender 3, I can't recommend highly enough to get yourself a glass bed. The difference in print quality is chalk and cheese). The bottom shell was printed with no support structures and the top shell was printed with support for the depressed D-pad to prevent drooping. Hence the bit of thatch work you can see there. The D-pad well is too shallow to remove without looking ugly so I just kept the support in place. I'm fairly happy with the end result.

Should be fun to see what various case mods and prints everyone comes up with in the future.

FYI uze, I had to download the entire project from the Autodesk Myhub link and upload it in a trial version of Autodesk Fusion 360 because it didn't seem possible to extract the top and bottom shell STL files independently from the Myhub link. It always extracted them as a single joined model. I could have missed how to do it though.

Anyway, if it's helpful to anybody, I'll upload the STL files I extracted from the fusion project for each shell. They were both extracted in fine mesh mode.

top_and_botton_stls.zip
(452.42 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Cool , Nice prints! :D I will check that exporting issue you mentioned since I didn't try to reimport. Btw you can transform your trial fusion account I to a free, non profit one so it won't nag you after 30 days.

I will also add STL files to the download section and perhaps a version without the dpad depression so it can be printed without support. That's what I used in the previous pics. Only thing is that the shell is thicker than it should and the dpad tends to grind a little bit on the corners but is totally usable.

Btw, there are two more parts to print: a bracket to hold the battery in place and also a cap for the slider switch. Will also add those to the download section.

Finally, for the text I looked at at pad printing and the process seems a bit more tricky and expensive than I thought. I'll try with screen printing first and I ordered a startup kit for 50$. I'll 3d print myself a jig to help applying the ink and we will see how it looks.

Oh and the cake is coming soon. :)

Ps: there is some settings in the slicer to avoid having those travel scars on the skin (at least in Cura).
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

uze6666 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:38 pm Ps: there is some settings in the slicer to avoid having those travel scars on the skin (at least in Cura).
Thank you for the tip! It worked a treat. I set 'Combing' to 'Not In Skin'.
no_combing_in_skin.jpg
no_combing_in_skin.jpg (251.3 KiB) Viewed 13792 times
No more travel scars :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Whoa looks slick!