Uzenet

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Gosma

Re: Uzenet

Post by Gosma »

So cool!! Does it work like a "wget"?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Gosma wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:27 pm So cool!! Does it work like a "wget"?
Ha! nope...well, it did once but then thought using the Arduino libs would be a wiser choice. But otherwise it works awesomely. Since Jubatian did some rework on the UART code, it's been like rock solid, I could not see a single lost char ever. And that's at 115000bps the maximum possible.

Right now I'm obsessed on the telnet stuff, but after that, yeah, the HTTP/REST stuff is next. Anyone can feel free to contribute it btw ;) . There is no doubt that it would make some distributed turn-based game a lot easier.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Nice progress Alec!

WiFi is really convenient, but I had sort of liked the idea it might be possible to have an Ethernet option as well. I found a while back a guy managed to abuse the ESP8266 hardware to actually connect to a wired network. Not sure how reliable, easy, or clean that was..I should find that again.

The ESP32 of course is an option, and I think even the price has become the same as the ESP8266. The main argument against the ESP89266(and this is my understanding of it, I have never been against it in any way!) was it being sort of a magical SMT high powered magic contraption. Perhaps it is the opposite of minimalism? I guess it's a matter or purity, or perhaps even more not to fragment the userbase. I'll leave all that to the philosophers.

WT32-ETH01 is potentially more attractive than the ESP32!! It provides WiFi, Ethernet, and Bluetooth. It's overpowered in my mind, but for reflex games, Ethernet can be significantly more stable for jitter and latency. It would require even more PCB real estate than the ESP8266 unfortunately, so it's probably not going to happen. Anyone who's interested, check it out https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/11/09 ... -ethernet/

Probably shouldn't put it on Uzebox, but worth a quick glance.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah I agree the ESP8266 seemed to me a bit like cheating since it could do by itself all the Uzebox can do and more. But I spent countless hours back then studying all the other options and there was no way the 644 could directly handle the job of dealing with TCP/IP. It always implied some sort of network controller or at very least another MCU (and take a lot of real estate on the PCB). So I got to think about it like an external modem. Which is exactly how it's being used with the Uzebox, i.e: it's communicating with the module though UART using plain AT text commands!

And about the ESP32..it is so powerful it could probably run an Uzebox emulator...which would be quite ironic!