Uzebox 3D printed enclosure!

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
Artcfox

Re: Uzebox 3D printed enclosure!

Post by Artcfox »

I just placed an order for a red/black/yellow enclosure from Shapeways. :D

After a bit of googling I stumbled across a $10 off discount code that worked, so the total came to $76.34 including shipping.

It looks like the enclosure on Shapeways differs slightly from the one shown in this assembly guide. What additional hardware will I need to complete the version that's on Shapeways? Do I need to make an ISP extension cable, or are the openings in the back large enough for the original ISP port to be used? The only 2mm x 10mm self tapping screws I could find on Amazon were these, but I'm not sure if the head height of 2mm will be a problem. (I wouldn't want them to protrude from the bottom of the case and scratch up my coffee table.) Also, what bumpons do you recommend that will stick to the 3D printed enclosure? Do I need to remove the ones that are already installed on my PCB for it to fit in Shapeways version? If so, can they be reused for the bottom of the enclosure, or should I order more from Digikey?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just want to make sure that I have everything else ready for when my enclosure arrives (hopefully) sometime in early November.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Oh, the bottom shell does not have the ISP access port on Shapeways! I guess you want it right? If so, I will upload the version with the access port at the bottom too. If they have not started processing your order I think you can cancel it. Then recreate the order.

I'll answer the other questions a bit later.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:Oh, the bottom shell does not have the ISP access port on Shapeways! I guess you want it right? If so, I will upload the version with the access port at the bottom too. If they have not started processing your order I think you can cancel it. Then recreate the order.

I'll answer the other questions a bit later.
I'm pretty sure I'll lose that one-time discount if I cancel the order and make a new one (It can only be applied to the very first order). It would have been nice to have, but if all else fails, I have a dremel. Also, once the bootloader is able to verify the data after flashing, then having an easily accessible ISP port won't really matter too much.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Artcfox wrote:I'm pretty sure I'll lose that one-time discount if I cancel the order and make a new one (It can only be applied to the very first order). It would have been nice to have, but if all else fails, I have a dremel. Also, once the bootloader is able to verify the data after flashing, then having an easily accessible ISP port won't really matter too much.
Alright then, seems like you won't need it. Using a dremel is possible but it doesn't do a nice job and the ISP header has to be held in place. Worst case I can always 3D print you the required socket. :)
It looks like the enclosure on Shapeways differs slightly from the one shown in this assembly guide. What additional hardware will I need to complete the version that's on Shapeways? Do I need to make an ISP extension cable, or are the openings in the back large enough for the original ISP port to be used?
Nothing else if you don't need the ISP port.

The only 2mm x 10mm self tapping screws I could find on Amazon were these, but I'm not sure if the head height of 2mm will be a problem.
I would recommend these instead: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/81220-13-Cap-hea ... 4ac7145257. They are the same I used and I know they fit well.

(I wouldn't want them to protrude from the bottom of the case and scratch up my coffee table.)
No chance they will protrude, the head will be about 1/4" inside the bottom case to screw to the top.
Also, what bumpons do you recommend that will stick to the 3D printed enclosure? Do I need to remove the ones that are already installed on my PCB for it to fit in Shapeways version? If so, can they be reused for the bottom of the enclosure, or should I order more from Digikey?
So will have to remove the bumpers to fit the case, so you can certainly reuse them for the enclosure with a bit of glue if they don't stick well. Ordering from Digikey is not an option since you need to buy sheets of them. Alternatively I guess you could find some small ones in some hardware store.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:
Artcfox wrote:I'm pretty sure I'll lose that one-time discount if I cancel the order and make a new one (It can only be applied to the very first order). It would have been nice to have, but if all else fails, I have a dremel. Also, once the bootloader is able to verify the data after flashing, then having an easily accessible ISP port won't really matter too much.
Alright then, seems like you won't need it. Using a dremel is possible but it doesn't do a nice job and the ISP header has to be held in place. Worst case I can always 3D print you the required socket. :)
It looks like the enclosure on Shapeways differs slightly from the one shown in this assembly guide. What additional hardware will I need to complete the version that's on Shapeways? Do I need to make an ISP extension cable, or are the openings in the back large enough for the original ISP port to be used?
Nothing else if you don't need the ISP port.

The only 2mm x 10mm self tapping screws I could find on Amazon were these, but I'm not sure if the head height of 2mm will be a problem.
I would recommend these instead: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/81220-13-Cap-hea ... 4ac7145257. They are the same I used and I know they fit well.

(I wouldn't want them to protrude from the bottom of the case and scratch up my coffee table.)
No chance they will protrude, the head will be about 1/4" inside the bottom case to screw to the top.
Also, what bumpons do you recommend that will stick to the 3D printed enclosure? Do I need to remove the ones that are already installed on my PCB for it to fit in Shapeways version? If so, can they be reused for the bottom of the enclosure, or should I order more from Digikey?
So will have to remove the bumpers to fit the case, so you can certainly reuse them for the enclosure with a bit of glue if they don't stick well. Ordering from Digikey is not an option since you need to buy sheets of them. Alternatively I guess you could find some small ones in some hardware store.
Cool. Thanks for the info! The other thing I was thinking was mounting a right angle ICSP header in place of the one I have now so the pins stick out the back.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

That link seems to imply they are 3x10 mm, but the assembly guide says 2x10 mm. Also that seller says I might not get them until mid to late November. (Eek!) Do you have calipers? If it is 2x10 mm, then I'll just get these from Hobby King so I don't have to wait that long: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 0pcs_.html
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Artcfox wrote:That link seems to imply they are 3x10 mm, but the assembly guide says 2x10 mm. Also that seller says I might not get them until mid to late November. (Eek!) Do you have calipers? If it is 2x10 mm, then I'll just get these from Hobby King so I don't have to wait that long: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 0pcs_.html
You are indeed right, I measured with my caliper and the ones I have are 3x12. That's a nice site you found there, pretty good prices! I'll order some. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 0pcs_.html
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:
Artcfox wrote:That link seems to imply they are 3x10 mm, but the assembly guide says 2x10 mm. Also that seller says I might not get them until mid to late November. (Eek!) Do you have calipers? If it is 2x10 mm, then I'll just get these from Hobby King so I don't have to wait that long: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 0pcs_.html
You are indeed right, I measured with my caliper and the ones I have are 3x12. That's a nice site you found there, pretty good prices! I'll order some. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 0pcs_.html
Awesome, I'm glad I checked with you first. I'll order those then too!

I also contacted Shapeways, to find out if they'll let me cancel my order and make a new one while keeping the "$10 off your first order" discount. They replied, but did not answer my question, so I'm still waiting to find out.

Yeah, Hobby King is really awesome. (I know I'm going off on a tangent here, but when I needed to make some short banana jack terminated jumper wires to go between my µCurrent Gold, and my Fluke 87V, I wanted to use 10 AWG Turnigy silicone coated wire for its extreme flexibility and low resistance and Hobby King had the best prices by a long shot. My hot air reflow station made soldering that a cinch.)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I am about to make an order from Shapeways so I can play "Uzebox dress up" and see all color schemes I like and for display purposes. Already was given a red case so getting black and white tops/bottoms/buttons, *green top*, couple different logo colors/materials(I was already sent a good number of options on these by Alec). The only thing that doesn't seem possible is the green top, though the blue is tempting me otherwise. I know nothing about how Shapeways works, is there some reason it can't be done in a green material?

On second though I guess green could be custom made! I've been practicing and watching tutorials on some of these awesome custom NES, Genesis/Megadrive, etc cases guys are doing(have to get an airbrush at some point). Some of these guys do absolutely amazing one of a kind things, and painting has always been an interest I wanted to explore more. Does anyone see some reason the white material on Shapeway wouldn't be good for painting if some fine sanding was done?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

The only thing that doesn't seem possible is the green top, though the blue is tempting me otherwise. I know nothing about how Shapeways works, is there some reason it can't be done in a green material?
Ah! Well there's absolutely no reasons. I just didn't enabled it for sale since I though nobody would use that color. But hey who am I to judge! I've enabled all colors available.

Btw, those parts are made using some white nylon and are actually just dyed afterward using the color you want.