Official parts list

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Official parts list

Post by uze6666 »

Ahh...got ya. When you open a NES, the sockets already have a small cable terminated by the PH connector. Like this:

Most would probably not bother with the PH connector and just solder the wires directly. I find them cool looking though, plus I found it practical at one time to remove the sockets in order to place more parts on the board.

Uze
steve.chamberlin

Post by steve.chamberlin »

1 CHA10G-ND CONN HDR 10PIN RT ANG WIRE WRAP (for ISP)
I decided to build a wire-wrap Uzebox in a permanent case, and ordered this part from the parts list. It doesn't fit. Doh!

The ISP cable has a 6-pin connector, and this is a 10-pin wire-wrap header. I noticed that when I ordered, but assumed I could just connect the cable to the middle 6 pins. No such luck: the body of the 6 pin connector collides with the other pins on the header.

How did you resolve this in your wire-wrap prototype? I can see in the photos that you're using this exact same header, but it's facing away from the camera, so I can't tell if you've modified it. Did you cut off the other 4 pins from the header?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yes I recall this. Back when I started the project, there was no 6 pins wirewrap header at Digikey (though I think I saw some recently). Anyhow, I used a 10 pin (2x5) header for the ISP header. Naturally, only the middle 6 pins are used. The AVRISPMKII can be opened and you can easily pop out the 6 pins cable and replace it by a 10 pins version. But cutting pins could just be easier (didn't thought of that one).

-uze
steve.chamberlin

Post by steve.chamberlin »

Ah, sneaky! I just cut the extra pins off, as well as some kind of plastic tab that was in the way, and now it seems OK.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Bumping this thread to mentionned I've completed the part list for revision D1. SD card parts, power connector & optional parts for the SVideo, MIDI and luma trap are now defined. See the first post for details.

-Uze
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

Are there any good substitutes for that video encoder? That thing with the socket adapter is costly.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Are there any good substitutes for that video encoder? That thing with the socket adapter is costly.
If there would have been one I'd have used it trust me! ;) If you are from Europe and have a SCART interface you can remove it all together. Otherwise don't know of any other DIP chip that can do color modulation. You could perhaps look at the XGS AVR and see how they do it since they don't use the AD725.

-Uze
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

I went ahead and put down the cash for one, but I will keep my eye open for something else.

As a side note my TV set has component and HDMI input I may not have needed the chip anyway. But knowing nothing about either of the two hookups so I can't say. I guess I may have to do some research.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Component is similar in concept to the S-VIDEO output (which still requires convertion from RGB) and HDMI is digital and uses a clock faster than the Uzebox itself!

-Uze
seryu

Post by seryu »

uze6666 wrote:
If there would have been one I'd have used it trust me! ;) If you are from Europe and have a SCART interface you can remove it all together. Otherwise don't know of any other DIP chip that can do color modulation. You could perhaps look at the XGS AVR and see how they do it since they don't use the AD725.

-Uze
XGS AVR video signal is generated in software but there's color helper hardware to generate the colorburst part of the video signal.