Official parts list

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Official parts list

Post by uze6666 »

Now the wait....thanks again...I'll let you know how I make out.
No problem. Post some pics when you get it running! :)

Cheers,

Uze
Nikiz

Post by Nikiz »

Hi! What is a good place, can be obtained from those parts, and ordered to Finland? Sorry bad english. :P
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

You always have Farnell, they have offices all over the world. Not sure if they have all parts though. Have a look: http://fi.farnell.com/

Cheers,

Uze
Nikiz

Post by Nikiz »

uze6666 wrote:You always have Farnell, they have offices all over the world. Not sure if they have all parts though. Have a look: http://fi.farnell.com/

Cheers,

Uze
Thanks a lot! :)
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

I recently discovered this great project and would love to build my own uzebox from scratch soon. Some questions:

-Is the parts list from the first post up to date and is an uzebox built with those parts compatible with a commercially available uzebox?
- Are any of the parts SMD? (I'm not that proficient in soldering, haven't done it in a while)
-Is there maybe a basic tutorial available that describes how to build one from scratch (apart from the schematics, just asking as it may make things easier :-))?

The reason I'd like to build one myself (instead of ordering one) is that I want to use this project to learn more about embedded hardware, while keeping it cheap. And I think this project is great for that. Also I love oldskool games :-).

Thanks in advance.
steve.chamberlin

AD725 socket

Post by steve.chamberlin »

Looking at the parts list, I see the AD725:
1 AD725ARZ-ND IC ENCODER RGB TO NTSC 16-SOIC
A SOJ adapater with a non-standard 0.4" wide spacing:
1 A324-ND SOCKET ADAPTR SOJ/32PIN .400

And a bunch of 0.3" and 0.6" wide wire-wrap sockets:
1 AE10053-ND IC SOCKET MACH PIN WW 40POS GOLD
1 AE10048-ND IC SOCKET MACH PIN WW 16POS GOLD
1 AE10050-ND IC SOCKET MACH PIN WW 20POS GOLD
1 AE10046-ND IC SOCKET MACH PIN WW 8POS GOLD
How is the SOJ adapater going to fit in any of those sockets, since it's a different width? Shouldn't I want the 0.6" wide SOJ socket instead? Digi-Key A323-ND?

Looking at the photos of the original wire-wrap Uzebox, it looks like the SOJ adapter was sawed off and crammed into a smaller wire-wrap socket?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

No mysteries here, you are indeed right, it's the wrong socket. For the AD725, you would need a A726-ND which is a SOIC/16PIN .300DIP.

I ordered the A324-ND socket to solder a sram chip back then, must have mixed up part numbers. Thank for bringing that up, I've corrected the part list.

Uze
steve.chamberlin

SNES connector

Thanks, one last question before I buy my parts:
10 455-1709-ND CONN HEADER PH TOP 7POS 2MM (NES socket plugs)
I believe this is actually a SNES connector, and not a NES connector. However, will a plain old 7-position 2mm connector actually work as a SNES connector? I don't have one handy, but from looking at photos here and elsewhere, it looks like the SNES connector has a group of 4 pins, and a separate group of 3 pins, all in a line, but with a wider spacing between the groups than between the pins. In other words, is a 2mm spacing between all 7 pins actually correct?

Edit: If I'd read 2 posts further down in the hardware forum, I would have seen the discussion of the SNES connectors and the suggestion of buying them on eBay. So I assume I'm correct that the 7-pos 2mm socket from Digi-Key referenced above won't actually fit.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Those sockets definitively matches only the plugs as found in the NES (hand extracted myself originally!). SNES total pins are much wider in total at about 1 1/10th ". while the PH connector is about 1/2". Today it seems the ebay market for SNES connectors in the form of multitaps have pretty dried up. Somebody recommended SNES extension cable though. There's still a lot on ebay and they very cheap.

Uze
steve.chamberlin

Interesting... I thought the NES connector was two stacked rows of 4 and 3 pins, as shown in your photo here: http://belogic.com/uzebox/images/board_details.jpg The header I linked from Digi-Key is a single in-line 7 position header.

I'll check for SNES extension cables on eBay, good suggestion.

I ordered the rest of the parts yesterday, so hopefully I'll have a breadboard Uzebox up and running fairly soon.