Current Availability

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.
kivan117

Current Availability

Post by kivan117 »

Recently spoke to a colleague about my Uzebox and wanted to refer them to a kit to purchase but had a hard time finding available choices.

I have the Sparkfun AVCore, an assembled Fuzebox kit with the prototype uzenet board and a 3D printed case, and even an EUzebox with Hammond aluminum case... I'm really bummed I missed out on getting the portable model set up.

I was really disappointed to find it so hard to find any available options these days.

Is there an active storefront still selling kits? If not, what's the best option currently for both the most recent rev home console model and the portable?
CunningFellow

Re: Current Availability

Post by CunningFellow »

I don't have kits - but I have some of the left over DTV units available.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Alec may be taking a break, but I think all the info was there to make a portable? Someone would need to get the file and send off for a PCB run.

For the DTV are there files for this? Perhaps at the same time we could get a few of these. Also some SNES controller shells are required.

For the standard kit, we could do a PCB run and also print our own or order prints for the case. The 3D printed cases Alec made, in my opinion, were very good and I'd prefer to have a homebrew than outsourced cases.

If you just want a standard PCB quickly, PM me. I think I have a few I could part with. ESP8266, SPI ram, SD card, and nothing else soldered(prototypes for Uzebox128 fitment). I have knockoff AD725s that are way cheaper also, just haven't had a chance to test all this. I'd assemble for anyone with an active interest, just a promise they will try out some Uzenet Megatris later.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I stopped making kits essentially because Adafruit stopped it's distribution. Although making kits was time consuming I was ok as long as I didn't have to handle payments and shipping. But really, with the BOM and Gerbers freely available it's quite easy to make your own kit. Making PCBs are so dirt cheap and easy now at shops like Pcbway and Jlcpcb. Also, most parts can be found on Digikey and the remaining on Aliexpress (Snes controller and connector, ad725). Eh, JLCPCB now even have a 3d printing service which is quite good and inexpensive for the case. I tried the service for the portable enclosure and was very satisfied. :P

Speaking of the portable, I stopped trying to make kits because of the required enclosure. Getting perfect and satisfactory 3D prints was extremely time consuming. But now with JLCPCB, I could have a full enclosure made for less than 10$! But alas, some of the required parts are no longer available so even if I wanted, I couldn't make any kits. :(
rv6502

Post by rv6502 »

Speaking of ...

They're hard to come about right now, especially the DIPs. Prices are high.
1284Ps were nearly unavailable too.
I ordered a couple 1284 from China that have yet to arrive, just because I'm stubborn :lol:
They're probably QA fails tho so probably futile to experiment with them.

I'm adding it to my ever-increasing list of side projects (god it's long) to run unit-tests on a few 1284s and figure out exactly which specific part of the microcontroller fails at speed, essentially just for science :D

But man, even 644s are hard to find at a non-gouging prices.