Uzebox Portable Kit Poll

Topics regarding the Uzebox hardware/AVCore/BaseBoard (i.e: PCB, resistors, connectors, part list, schematics, hardware issues, etc.) should go here.

If Uze makes a small run of kits available for the Uzebox Portable, Would you buy one?

Yes, for a kit and the 3D printed enclosure
78%
Yes, but for the kit only, I will print the case myself
11%
Yes, but I don't have the skills but would love a fully assembled unit with the 3D printed case
11%

Total votes: 9

uze6666
Site Admin

Uzebox Portable Kit Poll

Post by uze6666 »

The Uzebox Portable is complete! Buying all the parts can be very expensive for just one unit. I'm considering making a small run of kits (or maybe even assembled) for the community members. A base kit would run for around USD 110$ and a kit plus enclosure for USD 120$. Fully assembled would run around 160$.
nicksen782

Re: Uzebox Portable Kit Poll

Post by nicksen782 »

For $120 I'll buy the kit but I my access (and skills) to a 3D printer are limited. $10 for a printed enclosure is a steal. What about the gamepad buttons? Would they come as part of the kit too?

So... so good!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I would definitely buy 2 with cases unassembled if it were an option.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

I'm in for two unassembled kits. No case. My Creality Ender 3 was specifically purchased for this!
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

120$ dollar? 😱
How many days until XMas? 😂
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I put in a yes, but please don't take that as a firm order. It will depend on cash levels when the time comes.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I would say a quite certain yes for a fully assembled one. At least as things are going here I feel like there shouldn't be any problem, I am set for the near and possibly farther future here (in the United Kingdom). However we have some very problematic schedules for which I even had to postpone relocating my stuff to some distant future, so I will continue living here without a lot of my belongings and keep renting an apartment in Hungary too where they still are waiting for me.

But if it helps now to make a run of the Portable, I would join for a fully assembled one (I don't know how long it would be until I could set up a proper workbench for fiddling with wires, chips and stuff despite that I would really love to start experimenting with my ARM based ideas as well).
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Oh, I just realized, the price quoted was for my 'general public' BOM, that is, if one sources everything by itself in qty 1. Bulk buying to make 10+ portables could yield some good economies, specially since I already have plenty of parts for the regular kits. 8-) Will redo my calculations and update the post.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Oh, and I was already excited that the price you had just provided was in CAD... it is cheaper in USD by 20$. I'm definitely getting two.

The good news just keeps getting better. I wonder... how much would it cost to have a 3D printed enclosure printed super fine and smooth? Wasn't there an option for this when you released the official Uzebox enclosure a couple of years back?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

$10 for a printed enclosure is a steal.
To manage expectations, this is for a FDM printed case on my Ultimaker 2, not SLS from shapeays! Filament is not that expensive. But maybe with the pad printing that would augment costs a bit. If you want from Shapeways, it's always possible, but from what I saw it would come at around usd100$ for the very good quality surface finish :? .
What about the gamepad buttons? Would they come as part of the kit too?
Absolutely. I buy those by the crate for the kits, so I have plenty to spare. The kits would include everything needed, all parts,wires and hardware...including the screws! (and there is 3 kinds of them) The only thing needed would be tiny bits of hot glue or epoxy to hold the screen in place.

I'm not aware of any such kit on the market right now or ever for that matter so I'm pretty happy you guys likes it. Feels like when the uzebox launched over 10 years ago. :D

For a V1 kit, I'm very, very happy with it. But if this thing would catch on, I would love to have throughole circuitry equivalent to the powerboost and our own LCD board not needing that wasteful NTSC to digital conversion.

And my little one loves to play with is so fascinated by all the games, specially Melies retro land. esShe is really part of the digital generation... always touching the screen to make things happens! :lol: