Weber's Rants (tutorials)

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
D3thAdd3r

Weber's Rants (tutorials)

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Just wanted to make a quick mention of this. Recently I've put together a few documents(several half documents) about some subjects I didn't see covered, or at least more detail into them. You can find them in the wiki under Help, Tips, & Tutorials or directly here. I will add and finish documents as time allows. There are items tailored to new comers, and some that might be of interest even to experienced Uzers.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Weber's Rants (tutorials)

Post by uze6666 »

Lots of great stuff as usual Lee! :D
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

Thank you, just what I was looking for :D
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Thank you, just what I was looking for :D
Good, glad to hear you found some information useful. If there are any other topics not already covered on the wiki, just make a mention of it. I'll try and take a swing at it.
sxdemon

Post by sxdemon »

can't wait for the collision wiki :D
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I started the collision rant, only about half done. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow.
paul

Post by paul »

Great stuff, Lee. Keep 'em coming.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Well, I suspect mostly those who are reading these may already be in the know ;) But I added a small tutorial I think is likely to help someone at some point, therefore worth it. Some very easy ways to save large amounts of flash, and easily overlooked.

http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... ther_Stuff

Anything other specific things, I would be glad to hear about!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Excellent! Lot's of thing I've always wanted to have written somewhere, particularly the about the wave table! One trick to reduce music tracks is to use patches at mini patterns. Sure it's tricky to sync with the normal song, but you can save a bunch of memory, specially for the percussion track. I used this trick to significantly reduce the music size on B.C Dash. Check the "beat loop" patch I made here. Oh yeah and by the way, the CFLAGS += -mcall-prologues does not always results in reduced size. Sometime it even increases the size! So I recommend you check with and without when you start to get short on flash. Another flag that can shorten code size (perhaps at a slight expense to speed): CFLAGS += -fno-inline. GCC will often inline many times the same function if it considers it small.

Thanks!

-Uze
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Thanks, I've updated the information and also listed the possible caveats you mentioned. Great idea on the mini patterns.