Lightweight IDE for Linux, BSD etc

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
danboid

Re: Lightweight IDE for Linux, BSD etc

Post by danboid »

The only thing I don't like about micro is that it uses Go, which is a pretty big dependency. emacs is about 30 something MB but go by iself is about 80 MB. I also like that micro is just the one executable.

I think micro offers me a more streamlined (if we ignore the size of go) and modern text editing experience overall and I'd rather that than save 40 MB disk space. I don't think I need any of the power features emacs may offer me in its no doubt much larger selection of plugins etc. micro uses some of the emacs keybindings in its default config to keep emacs users happy. If I become disillusioned with micro I will give emacs a go.

It looks like I am now a micro, Kate and sometimes vi(m), if that's the only thing installed, user.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

If your goal is something tiny, but acts like Emacs, you could always use mg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mg_(editor)
danboid

Post by danboid »

Whilst having a micro keybinding like this works OK:

Code: Select all

"Alt-r": "command:hsplit,command:term cuzebox /home/dan/src/IKD/default/IKD.hex"
Something like this doesn't work so well:

Code: Select all

"Alt-x": "command:hsplit,command:term sh -c 'cd /home/dan/src/IKD/default;make'"
because you cannot page back through the output so until that gets fixed I'd have to use tmux or screen to view the build output if I wanted it in the same terminal/window.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I have added my Kate Uzebox IDE configuration instructions to the wiki:

https://uzebox.org/wiki/Configuring_Kat ... Uzebox_IDE
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Cool. Does it show you the build output when you use the shortcuts?

I added custom commands to my Makefile to show the md5sum of my .uze file so I can tell when a code change/refactor does not affect the resulting binary to know that I didn't screw up during the refactor.
danboid

Post by danboid »

> Cool. Does it show you the build output when you use the shortcuts?

Yes it does.