Kernel Updates

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Kernel "upgrade" -- Beta 6

Post by uze6666 »

Bump! I've updated the main post with beta 6. It's the final version. If nobody find bugs, I will commit to SVN after the holidays.

-Uze
HardlyUnique

Post by HardlyUnique »

Nice job!

One thing I've noticed is that the curr_field variable seems to have suffered from bitrot since 3.2. It's only implemented in video modes 1, 2 and 4. I'm currently making use of it for my Closed-Caption API so if it's not too much trouble, can you please re-implement it for every mode?

Also, while I'm on the subject, I've noticed that it's inconsistent with the bootloader. That is, if I load my game from the SD initially or by choosing to launch-to-game on reset, one field is curr_field=0. If I launch the same title from the SD menu and it's been programmed, the other field is curr_field=0. It does this every time.

Is it possible to rewrite the way curr_field is updated during VSYNC and ensure that it will always be consistent? Like, ensure that curr_field will always = 0 on odd fields?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Sure, I'll look into it, shouldn't be a big deal. :)

-Uze
HardlyUnique

Post by HardlyUnique »

Thanks! :mrgreen:
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

GCC 4.6.2 wants all the PROGMEM arrays to be const.

Code: Select all

../../kernel/uzeboxCore.c:65:4: error: variable 'eeprom_format_table' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
../../kernel/uzeboxCore.c:118:5: error: variable 'io_table' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
../../kernel/uzeboxSoundEngine.c:146:14: error: variable 'patchCommands' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
../../kernel/videoMode3/videoMode3.c: In function 'RestoreBackground':
../../kernel/videoMode3/videoMode3.c:50:16: warning: unused variable 'a' [-Wunused-variable]
../../kernel/videoMode3/videoMode3.c:49:19: warning: unused variable 'j' [-Wunused-variable]
../../kernel/uzeboxVideoEngine.c: At top level:
../../kernel/uzeboxVideoEngine.c:264:15: error: variable 'fader' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
Also the new emulator source before the release would help ;).
And I think you mentioned earlier you that SDL.dll wasn't needed (I might be wrong), I had to download it for it to run on wine.

Thanks, Uze.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Ah crap, why in the world did they not generate warnings instead... :roll: Oh well, I'll revise that. Don't worry for the emulator source, I will commit it also. I wanted to be sure I didn't screwed up anything. I commented out the uncompleted SD code to reduce size and improve speed. I guess I must have a copy of SDL.dll on my path somehow, never mind what I said then...

-Uze
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Kernel "upgrade" -- Released!

Post by uze6666 »

The kernel upgrade is complete...at last! Check the main post for more details. I've commited everything to the trunk. Before that I created tag 3.3 to hold the stable code. The emulator v1.15 can be built from the source or downloaded pre-built with sources and demos here. Note that all compiled demos requires uzem v1.15 or otherwise there will be no image rendered.

There will undoubtedly be some little bugs, so let me know if you find some. 2-3 games still need little fixes and don't compile so I have commented them out of the main makefile (for now). Also I still have to fix Nebososo's issue with GCC 4.6.2.

Hope it will be useful to you guys! :)
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

;) Awesome. I'll see what I can do about GCC 4.6.2.

Thanks, Uze.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I'll see what I can do about GCC 4.6.2.
It's ok, I've added const keywords to all PROGMEM declare, in kernel and demos too. :)
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

uze6666 wrote:
I'll see what I can do about GCC 4.6.2.
It's ok, I've added const keywords to all PROGMEM declare, in kernel and demos too. :)
Great, but you missed one tricky declaration:

const char *brickAnim[] PROGMEM
Should have been

const char * const brickAnim[] PROGMEM
Some of the demos weren't using the proper avr-size flags on Linux, so I included that in my commit too. I believe it's working on windows too, but just to be sure, someone should test it.

It compiled just fine, except for a couple of unused variables warnings.

../../kernel/videoMode3/videoMode3.c:50:16: warning: unused variable 'a' [-Wunused-variable]
../../kernel/videoMode3/videoMode3.c:49:19: warning: unused variable 'j' [-Wunused-variable]
I didn't remove these ones, I wasn't sure if those addresses were being used by a weird hack. :lol: