Kernel Updates

Topics related to the API, programming discussions & questions, coding tips, bugs, etc. should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Kernel "upgrade" -- Released!

Post by uze6666 »

Great, but you missed one tricky declaration:
CODE: SELECT ALL
const char *brickAnim[] PROGMEM

Should have been
CODE: SELECT ALL
const char * const brickAnim[] PROGMEM
Wow, nice catch, that was indeed a tricky one. 8-)

Code: Select all

../../kernel/videoMode3/videoMode3.c:50:16: warning: unused variable 'a' [-Wunused-variable]
../../kernel/videoMode3/videoMode3.c:49:19: warning: unused variable 'j' [-Wunused-variable]
Hmmm, I don't see that at all in what's commited in the trunk: http://code.google.com/p/uzebox/source/ ... Mode3.c#50?!? Are you sure you don't have an old version?

Looking at optimizing mode3 I found a "memory waste" in the sprite structure. The tileIndex member was declared as an int instead of a char. That's a nice +32 bytes of RAM for a game like DonkeyKong. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't put there for some other game? Anybody recalls? If not, I fix this and commit.
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

uze6666 wrote: Are you sure you don't have an old version?
:oops: :oops: :oops: I forgot to change the kernel location in my Makefile, so I was using the beta version. Now it's gone :lol:, sorry :lol: .
JRoatch

Post by JRoatch »

LodeRunner fails to compile because of missing UserRamTiles set of functions (used for sprite curtains or something?).
Probably is also why LodeRunner is not in the top makefile.

Also in the makefile of the emuze save-file editor the KERNEL_DIR var needs to be changed from ../kernel to ../../../kernel
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

JRoatch wrote: Also in the makefile of the emuze save-file editor the KERNEL_DIR var needs to be changed from ../kernel to ../../../kernel
Thanks.
I commited the fix for this one. It was also missing some const declarations and avr-size flags. I didn't add it to the main makefile because I didn't know if it's supposed to be there or not.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

LodeRunner fails to compile because of missing UserRamTiles set of functions (used for sprite curtains or something?).
Probably is also why LodeRunner is not in the top makefile.
Essh, I know...Back then, I developed custom features on mode 3 to support the main title's scrolling background. But I deleted them before commiting a subsequent kernel update...:oops: It's on my todo to fix it.
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

I just realized that emuze and Atomix are broken :( . If anyone wants to take a look.
I'm almost sure emuze's crash is not related to my changes :geek: , I only consted PROGMEM arrays.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I just realized that emuze and Atomix are broken . If anyone wants to take a look.
I'm almost sure emuze's crash is not related to my changes , I only consted PROGMEM arrays.
Compiles and runs fine here. Just ran both on the hardware. Perhaps it's something related to the compiler version? I have 4.3.3 .
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

Atomix runs fine, but the tiles are messed up:
No idea how this one could be a compiler problem.

Emuze crashes after I press down. But looks perfect. On both emulator and hardware. I can try running gdb later.
martinsustek

Post by martinsustek »

I have no idea, why is Atomix messed up, I'll look on it tommorow, maybe I've forgotten to commit something or so.
Earlier version used hacked kernel for measuring time, but now PostVsyncCallback is used, so this shouldn't be problem.

Maybe there's wrong font offset or font tiles totally missing.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I suspect something with linux or the version of GCC used by nebososo. Atomix works fine on my machine with the latest code from the trunk. Graphics are not messed up on the emulator or the hardware.