UCC2018 -- Uzebox 10th anniversary edition

Discuss Everything related to UCC, share progress of your game, ask questions, etc.

Would you participate in a UCC2018 game coding competition?

Poll ended at Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes
62%
No
No votes
Maybe
23%
No but I'd like to be a judge
15%

Total votes: 13

nicksen782

Re: UCC2018 -- Uzebox 10th anniversary edition

Post by nicksen782 »

*BUMP*

We have 5-7 people who are interested in creating games for UCC. Could we get a few more?

Is UCC2018 official?
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I have a lot going on right now, but if I can get a good enough idea (and find the time for it) I'd like to.
rocifier

Post by rocifier »

I'd like to try... the more motivation for me the better.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I've just finished a new video mode that two people have promised me they will use to make a game for UCC.

I'll not spoil their surprise and let them say what they are doing here.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Committed the first lines of code for my beat'm up. So far I've implemented 4 way scrolling and a screen shake.

Now all that remains for me to do is come up with a coherent game play design, graphics, animations, physics, story, levels, sound, music and a reason to use the screen shake.

But at least the important bits are now done ;)
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

L4rry wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:51 am Committed the first lines of code for my beat'm up. So far I've implemented 4 way scrolling and a screen shake.

Now all that remains for me to do is come up with a coherent game play design, graphics, animations, physics, story, levels, sound, music and a reason to use the screen shake.

But at least the important bits are now done ;)
Funny you should mention that, I actually just finished getting 4-way scrolling working for myself, though for now I am just using uncompressed flash memory to store the map, because it's just a proof of concept. I'd like to offload that to the SD card if possible.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Artcfox wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 pm Funny you should mention that, I actually just finished getting 4-way scrolling working for myself, though for now I am just using uncompressed flash memory to store the map, because it's just a proof of concept. I'd like to offload that to the SD card if possible.
I had (quite shoddily actually in retrospect) implemented one way scrolling for Iros in the past, so happy to get 4 way working now. If you, or anybody else doing scrolling for that matter, get to a point where level size becomes an issue, I would recommend taking a look at the Mega (Meta) Tile feature in gconvert to get your scrolling levels to manageable sizes. So far I think I'm the only one that's used it but I find it quite helpful and would be good to have a second pair of eyes on it. Space savings are quite significant.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

L4rry wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 pm(...) I would recommend taking a look at the Mega (Meta) Tile feature in gconvert to get your scrolling levels to manageable sizes. So far I think I'm the only one that's used it but I find it quite helpful and would be good to have a second pair of eyes on it. Space savings are quite significant.
I didn't even realize it could do that by itself! FoaD uses the technique on a more elaborate level (it creates 4x4 mega-tiles, then 4x2 mega-blocks of those), but I typed up all these manually as I didn't think I could gain in time by creating some application for it, and the whole design is the "other way around" (I didn't compress levels, rather built them up from the parts, both the 4x4 mega-tiles and the blocks formed of them are all very much designed with the intention of combining).
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I've been watching this thread for a while. The poll is not terrible as I would have expected at least 10 firm entries. But from what I can read, you guys would still like to do it so, eh let's do it!! I'll make the updates to the forums and main site and throw in a couple bucks for publicity on social media. UCC2018 here we go! :P
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

L4rry wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 pm I had (quite shoddily actually in retrospect) implemented one way scrolling for Iros in the past, so happy to get 4 way working now. If you, or anybody else doing scrolling for that matter, get to a point where level size becomes an issue, I would recommend taking a look at the Mega (Meta) Tile feature in gconvert to get your scrolling levels to manageable sizes. So far I think I'm the only one that's used it but I find it quite helpful and would be good to have a second pair of eyes on it. Space savings are quite significant.
Cool, I'll look into that!
uze6666 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 am I've been watching this thread for a while. The poll is not terrible as I would have expected at least 10 firm entries. But from what I can read, you guys would still like to do it so, eh let's do it!! I'll make the updates to the forums and main site and throw in a couple bucks for publicity on social media. UCC2018 here we go! :P
Awesome, is there a way for me to change my answer from maybe to yes?